cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jam4775
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Windows 8 on HP Slate 500... DISAPPOINTMENT!!!

HP Recommended

VERY VERY BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!!! that on the HP Slate 500 they put a display on it that only supports 1024x600 especially considering this thing sells for almost $800. Well now because of this HP has made sure that you can't upgrade this tablet to Windows 8 because Metro apps require at least 1024x768 or better to run.... JUST WOW!!!.... very pissed right now!!!

HP you failed big time on this one.... no reason you couldn't have put a higher resolution display on this tablet.... lets cut some more corners next time and charge more for it!!!

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
mikemx00
1 1 0 2
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I share your annoyance with your first experience with Windows 8 on a SLATE 500, however all is NOT as bad as it may first seem.  I have two comments, one technical and one of the context here:

First, one can use Metro Apps with the SLATE 500 by downloading the standard HP SLATE 500 Intel Display driver from the normal HP support site.  One must set iTs compatibility for ALL USERS to Windows 7 and use the "Run as Administrator" mode from the righ-click context menu.  Once downloaded and installed, you can change the resolution to 1024X768.  That resolution has always been supported but in what appears to be an interpolated mode that might have some impact on performance.  I have found it tolerable but not optimal.

Second, while I am not necessarily happy with how HP has embraced Windows 8, you may be embellishing a bit in your description of their strategy.  Remember that the SLATE 500 was introduced by Balmer a few years ago in a keynote.  HP was part of the "in-group" from the beginning and seems blind-sided by this hardware requirement.  Given that the Slate 2 still has the same display setup as the SLATE 500, this predicament is more likely bad luck for HP rather than HP product strategy intent.  Who could argue against the wobblies that have permeated HP's product strategy of late.  I say bad-luck or bad product management rather than any nefarious intention.

Finally, I see someone is hashing through how to get the web cam and the hardware hot-keys to work.  I hope they been succesful as that is my next challenge.

GOOD LUCK!

Ravell76
Level 1
12 9 0 1
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ive reverted back to windows 7!

Windows 8 is way to glitchy and a waste of time on this system.... you will spend hours and days trying to figure out tweaks and getthing things to work.... and dont even get me started on metro not supporting 1024x600 bah! Even windows 7 on my slate is so slow....

0 Kudos
STAR57KM
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Works great on my SLATE, a little trick to get video and Touch to work, but hey Windows 8 is new.... Very FAST! 

0 Kudos
CoolJohnB
3 1 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the CP version running on my Slate 500 and it works great, no problems with the installation I just downloaded the roughly 5MB file and let it download what was needed I set the resolution to 1024x768 before starting and am very happy with Windows 8, much faster than 7, Metro works fine and the hand writing recognition is awesome!  First time I've had anything recognise my bad hand writing getting it right 99% of the time!  Would definitely recommend it to anyone with the Slate 500.

0 Kudos
richie_medic_23
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, could you give us or tell us what are the steps to install Windows 8 on the HP Slate 500 Tablet PC?, So it can tell us where we can download drivers for Windows 8, or are the same for Windows 7 or install mode compatibility with Windows 7 ... thanks; Hola, ¿podrías darnos o decirnos cuales son los pasos para instalar Windows 8 en la HP Slate 500 Tablet PC?, así mismo puedes decirnos donde podemos descargar los drivers para Windows 8, o son los mismos para Windows 7 o los instalas en modo compatibilidad con Windows 7... gracias... my email es [Personal Information Removed]

0 Kudos
TER1
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
What was the trick to get the Touch to work? I can only get it to work on single touch and I can't get the stylus to work.
0 Kudos
Agoriani
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thats the link with the correct driver for Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 500 that works with windows 8 32bit enterprise edition.

Only with that one i didnt got any problems with graphics in "metro" and tiles view.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=3180&DwnldID=19155&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss

0 Kudos
cakeversole
2 1 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I downloaded Win 8 and Slate graphics locked up.  Got a refund from MS no problem but went to reinstall Win 7 pro and the whole thing crashed.  Had my local tech guy look and no go.  Bios messed up.  Any suggestions other than use as a boat anchor?  Not under warranty and have no clue what HP would charge me.  Yikes.

0 Kudos
stivesd
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solucion: 1) Descarga este dirver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19155

2) descomprimir y en el setup click derecho, propiedades, compatibilidad y selecciona la casilla ejecutar este programa en modo compatibilidad windows xp (service pack 3), aceptar y cerrar.

3) ejecutar el setup y se instalara el driver luego podras ajustar la resolcion 1024x768.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation