Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
talkingpie Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows Boot Manager Error / Windows Recovery Manager Issue

Pavillion a6702f
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

Hello,

I'm at a loss and afraid I've lost all my files.  

Every time I restarted my computer I kept getting the Windows Boot Manager error message:

Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

However, after googling and trying numerous methods to repair this, I now keep getting prompted with the Windows Recovery Manager.  I assumed that choosing the default factory restore option would prompt me with a back up option, but it didn't and proceeded to reformat.  I quickly shut my computer down.

I don't know what to do next because now all I get is the Windows Recovery Manager option.

Any help would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Provost Provost
Provost
9425 9422 879 2536
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If this string of events actually did start to reformat the drive, it might still be recoverable.  I would boot the computer to an independent OS IE: Linux Live on a CD or DVD and then look at the drive.  Then use that to copy your data to another drive.  Once the data is saved, then do whatever you want with this corrupted drive.  Do not try to continue with any other operations until the data is saved elsewhere.

Since this PC came with Vista, once the data is saved, you could try the HP REcovery Manager to restore the original OS. Or just start over this a new install of windows 7

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
0 Kudos
talkingpie Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.

I downloaded a bootable image of Knoppix onto CD and was able to boot my computer with it.  However, it showed my hardrive as empty; it only contained the factory default files.

I assume all my personal files somehow got erased?  

While searching for solutions, I came across the rescue programs, TestDisk and PhotoRec.  Are you familar with them?

I'm not entirely sure what I should be repairing...

0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
975 968 31 106
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

If you are using Knoppix, then the program I suggest to go with it is...

Gparted

This has a drop down menu that attempts to recover data.

0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
975 968 31 106
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

You can try and recover / unformat the missing drive if it has not been written over.

Gparted

Device

Attempt Data Rescue

If in doubt please ask.

0 Kudos
talkingpie Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help.

I tried Gparted and attemped data rescue on the hard drive, but I got the message "No file systems found on /dev/sda."  It did not find any recognizable file systems on this disk.

I looked at their manual and it says in this case I should use PhotoRec to recover my files...

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
9425 9422 879 2536
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If those items cannot see the files, as long as the drive was not used for anything, they might still be recoverable.  You will need file recovery software, however.  PhotoRec claims to be able to do that, but I have not used it.  Be sure to setup so the files are saved on another media from the drive trying to be recovered.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
975 968 31 106
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Data recovery

Testdisklogo clear 100.pngIf you have lost partition or strange problem with your hard disk partitions, run TestDisk to recover your data. TestDisk detects numerous filesystem including NTFS, FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, exFAT, ext2, ext3, ext4, btrfs, BeFS, CramFS, HFS, JFS, Linux Raid, Linux Swap, LVM, LVM2, NSS, ReiserFS, UFS, XFS.

TestDisk can also undelete files from FAT, NTFS, exFAT and ext2 filesystem.

Photorec 64x64.pngTo recover your lost digital pictures or lost files, try PhotoRec. PhotoRec is a signature based file recovery utility. It handles more than 440 file formats including JPG, MSOffice, OpenOffice documents.
0 Kudos
talkingpie Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So close!

I followed the instructions and used a BootMed CD with PhotoRec on it and went through the process of recovering my files.  After it finished I shut down and unplugged my external hard drive.  However, once I tried to read my external hard drive on another computer I keep getting an F: error.  

Through BootMed, it says that it is unable to mount the location of the hard drive:

Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). The file system wasn't safely closed on Windows.

I tried doing chkdisk /f through Command Prompt on Windows on another computer, but the computer can't access the drive.

Thanks for your help! 

0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
975 968 31 106
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Unclean file system is normal for Windows 10, when Windows 10 shuts down it suspends part of the process.

Then you have an unclean partition which Linux does not want to mount, there is a fix and it is either Gparted or Suse, because I have cleaned one up and mounted it.

Now as a precaution I do not opt for fast start in Windows because if (when) it goes belly up I cannot easily access the drive.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation