Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Master's Graduate
Message 1 of 11 (10,168 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows Media Player Audio sync problem when playback DivX in fullscreen

hello,

i have found lately that when playing divx videos on Windows Media Player in fullscreen mode the audio is out of sync.  If the video is played back in window mode, there is no problems.  I didn't have this problem in the past but now for about 1 month or so I have this problem.

I have iq508a running vista 64bit, w/ the latest HP supplied drivers installed (Using the HP Update utility) - does anyone else have this same problem too?

thanks in advance

jim

HP Elite X2 1012 G2, HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: Windows Media Player Audio sync problem when playback DivX in fullscreen

I can't believe it! I fixed the problem with this video audio sync problem while playing in fullscreen!!

While watching Pineapple Express, I thought WTF I'll take another closer look at this, and while they were smashimg their cell phones so that they couldn't be found by triangulation, (don't ask - u just gotta watch it - stoner movie   ).... 

anyway, I looked at the options under the tools in WMP.  I unchecked the option in the performance tab "Use Video Smoothing" - the video like re-loaded and bingo! all in sync!!!!..

BTW, I checked my other PC running Vista 32bit and the option "Use Video Smoothing" also exists and it is checked so this seems to be an issue either with WMP running on Vista 64Bit or WMP running on the Touchsmart PC.....In anycase I'm much happier now...
Message Edited by JimT on 12-27-2008 05:06 AM
View solution in context
Distinguished Professor
Message 2 of 11 (10,165 Views)

To me, this sounds like more of how WMP is using the codec than anything else.

Play the DiVX movie using the free DiVX player from their Web site and see if the sync problem happen in their too. If not, it's a WMP/DiVX prob. Might want to update or roll back to a newer or older version of DiVX if you know it worked properly before.... Or just use the DiVX player if it works.

Improving the overall performance of your system might help as well since the TouchSmart PCs have alot of software tasks running. Every now and again I get sync issues with HD ATSC Live TV in Media Center and it seems to get better when I shut down the software tasks that eat up a lot of memory (Touchsmart, Virus, TCA):

If you haven't already done so...

Open the TouchSmart software,
click Personalize,
click TouchSmart Settings,
remove the checkmarks from Auto-Start and Quick Launch,
click OK,
close the TouchSmart software.

The TouchSmart software will now take a little longer to open and close, but software applications that use up significant memory (like iTunes), should run better when the TouchSmart software is not open.

When viewing a movie, temporarily disconnect from the network and turn off virus scanning.

If you've changed the native display resolution to anything else or have changed your DPI settings, change them back to the default.

Turn off Total Care Advisor by right clicking the the notification tray icon and selecting Exit.
I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Master's Graduate
Message 3 of 11 (10,145 Views)

Have you checked to see if you have all the latest updates from Windows Update too? (www.windowsupdate.com)

When you say you didn't have this problem in the past, are you saying that playing the exact same file now as you did in the past that now it has a problem and back then it didn't?

Have you tried shutting off the TouchSmart software to see if it's a performance issue or clash with Windows Media Player?

"A riot is the language of the unheard." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Master's Graduate
Message 4 of 11 (10,131 Views)

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply - I ventured down the divx path and did downgrade the codec ( http://www.oldapps.com/divx_player.htm ).  It seemed to work, that is when I played the first video after downgrading the version, it all played back and was in sync using WMP.  But then the next time I played the video it went out of sync .  I then upgraded and found that on the first video I played it played in sync and then on the next viodeo it went out of sync

I used the native divx player, but the video was choppy however the audio was in sync.

I even registered as beta tester for divx to test their beta 7.x version (which supposedly supports Vista 64bit) but that didn't work either, well that is - when i played the video (any divx video) it played in sync and then the next time around was out again, as a tester did report this back through to divx labs. 

As for Windows update, it's been configured to download and install automatically, I haven't looked into this avanue as yet and it might be a good place to continue with this investigation.

Bill, I'm just wondering if you are expereincing this same problem? Maybe as a community we can highlight this issue with HP and have them further investigate it for us - I suspect this is a combination of all three aspects of OEM drivers, codec and windows update....
HP Elite X2 1012 G2, HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
Master's Graduate
Message 5 of 11 (10,129 Views)

Oh and BTW, I forgot to also mention I did go through disabling background tasks such as touchsmart and uninstalled virus software that came with the pc and things like that - however, when it was all working these tasks and programs were already loaded into memory...
Master's Graduate
Message 6 of 11 (10,100 Views)

I'm just wondering if anyone else is expereincing this same problem?
Master's Graduate
Message 7 of 11 (9,983 Views)

is there anyone that can check on their Touchsmart PC if they have the same problem as I do, can they use Windows Media Player to load a divx movie and view it in full screen - does the audio not sync with the visual?

I want to know if this is happening to me only or is it also happening to others?
Master's Graduate
Message 8 of 11 (9,870 Views)

I'm just wondering if anyone else is expereincing this same problem?
Master's Graduate
Message 9 of 11 (9,666 Views)

[ Edited ]

I can't believe it! I fixed the problem with this video audio sync problem while playing in fullscreen!!

While watching Pineapple Express, I thought WTF I'll take another closer look at this, and while they were smashimg their cell phones so that they couldn't be found by triangulation, (don't ask - u just gotta watch it - stoner movie   ).... 

anyway, I looked at the options under the tools in WMP.  I unchecked the option in the performance tab "Use Video Smoothing" - the video like re-loaded and bingo! all in sync!!!!..

BTW, I checked my other PC running Vista 32bit and the option "Use Video Smoothing" also exists and it is checked so this seems to be an issue either with WMP running on Vista 64Bit or WMP running on the Touchsmart PC.....In anycase I'm much happier now...
Message Edited by JimT on 12-27-2008 05:06 AM
Master's Graduate
Message 10 of 11 (9,042 Views)

doh! this thing with the audio sync in fullscreen is back, arrgh!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation