cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
19th-man
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Windows update fail 0x8024200D

HP Recommended
Pavillion 550-117a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all, Just found that Windows 10 Upgrades have been failing with error code  0x8024200D - leaving me running old version 1511 (prior to March 2017).

Has anyone fixed that problem ?  (now quite urgent with recent Ransomware attacks)

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
IT_WinSec
Level 15
Level 15
9,969 9,865 797 3,836
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@19th-man wrote:

Hello all, Just found that Windows 10 Upgrades have been failing with error code  0x8024200D - leaving me running old version 1511 (prior to March 2017).

Has anyone fixed that problem ?  (now quite urgent with recent Ransomware attacks)

Hello @19th-man

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome !

As a security engineer I can assure you that simply upgrading Windows to latest build won't protect you against recent WannaCry Ransomware. Further things are needed but we'll discuss this later.

** Do you run  Windows 10 Home edition (64-bit) ?  Build 1511 ? Your PC should ship with it. Please, confirm.

** I need to know what software is installed on your machine and what runs with it.

Download Trend Micro's HiJackThis app:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

Save and run the exe file.

1) Click on "Do a scan and save log file" button

After scan, if a log file pops up in Notepad - that is excellent. If not, choose "Save log" button and choose to save the log file somehwere

The log file - open it, choose "Select All" (CTR + A) , then copy it and paste it all here in your next reply.

2) Open HiJackThis app again - in the Main screen , choose "Open the Misc tools section".

Choose "Open Uninstall Manager" button. Choose "Save list" button and specify where you would like to save this log. When you press Save button a notepad will open with the contents of that file.

Copy and paste all the info and place it your next reply

You can now close HiJackThis and delete it.

** Try these two suggestions:

>> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/hard-reset-windows-updates/2e269...

and

>> Microsoft tool >> https://aka.ms/wudiag

Provide the information, the logs and let me know if the suggestions helps. Looking forward to your reply

>> Your FEEDBACK is important. Click below on Accept As Solution or ThumbUp+ buttons if my comments helped or to say thanks <<
*** I work for HP *** I express personal opinion only *** HP Expert - Volunteer since 2013
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation