cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

Windows update problem

HP Recommended
p6310f
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

When trying to update to windows 10 I received error message 0x80080005-0x90016 after looking in the Microsoft support forum I found that the problem was related to windows 7 not being up to date. I checked and found that my computer stopped udating a couple of years ago. I tried running MS Fixit which didn't work. Tried to restart (BITS) and got ERROR 126 (module could not be found) I then followed the instructions at  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2700567 on how to reset Windows Update components. During the process I got the following errors:

mshtml.dll    loaded but the entry point dllregisterserver was not found

shdocvw.dll    "     "            "      "

browseui.dll   "                "                    "                     "

msxml.dll     Module failed to load make sure binary is stored at the specified path  the specified module could not be found.

actprxy.dll   Failed could not be found

gpkcsp.dll        "        "           "             "

initpki.dll          "           "                 "

wuaueng1.dll           "                "           "

wucltui.dll         "        "             "

wuweb.dll      "            "           "              "

muweb.dll    "            "              "            "

I guess my question is do I need to do a system restore on windows 7 before i can upgrade to windows 10? Or is there some other way ?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
25,952 25,884 2,378 5,622
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello glockrow ;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about windows update problems and wanted to help.

I wish I could say that updating to Win10 was an exact science where we know exactly how it does that and what it needs -- but the flooding of this and other Win10 forums with problem after problem indicates that, at best, we're all guessing.

So, my guess, from what I've read and done on my PCs, is that you SHOULD be able to avoid the missing updates problem by updating using Win10 media created using this MS link:  Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

After you have created the DVD or USB, do NOT boot from it; instead, insert it into your PC and, if it does not auto-start, right-click the setup.exe file and run it.

HOWEVER -- and this is important -- Win7 PCs have a low success rate upgrading to Win10 without problems -- primariluy due to the lack of OEM Win10 drivers.  Typical reported problems include display artifacts (due to being forced to use the Microsoft Basic Adapter driver), no WiFi, and touchpad problems.  The drivers that Microsoft provides have only the most basic functionality, with none of the extras that the HP drivers bring to the scene.

This is further complicated by the Win10 GoBack function, by which you can revert to your original OS, being known to be unreliable. So, when your upgraded machine works poorly, only then do you find out that you can't go back to the working machine you had originally!

You can protect yourself against ending up with a corrupted machine -- by seriously considering using a free third-party product that doea imaging/restoration functions -- Macrium Reflect.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

So now, you can charge ahead with the upgrade knowing that no matter what happens, you will actually be able to go back to your currently working state in only a few minutes.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation