cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
TheBikBoy
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Windows upgrade

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-118
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi, i've been trying to update to windows 10 from this morning. The update froze at 0% for 3 hours so i decided to reboot my computer. It got stuck on a black screen with a cursor, i opened the task manager and managed to get out of the black screen. Then i tried to update again and the samething happened. 

One thing that i realized is that everytime i open my task manager after the update fail, i can see my disk usage at 100% for like 1 min and then it goes down.

Is the disk not powerfull enough to update the system?

if i have to change my disk, any suggestion for me?

Any solution to help me update to windows 10 safely without any problems?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,583 24,235 2,824 10,339
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@TheBikBoy, welcome back to the forum.

Are you doing a full upgrade using  a Win 10 disk?  If so, and you have a valid Win 10, Product Key, you can try using this option here.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
Wildrrm
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
@old_geekster My laptop auto magically updated. It took over an hour and then when I tried to turn it on it says updating in progress (0%) black screen with hp. Then the screen goes blank completely but the computer is still on. I'm dismal at tech so I took out the battery and started it again. Message came up for options to restore/manage files etc. I tried restoring to a previous date but it failed. Is my only option to restore.to factory settings and lose files? Thanks
0 Kudos
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,583 24,235 2,824 10,339
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Wildrrm, welcome to the forum.

I wish that I had better news for you, but a full restore to factory settings sounds like your only option.  This is the reason for all of the warnings about doing a backup of your files.  You never know when you will have a fatal error that will cause you to lose your files.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
sheryll_net
Level 2
18 16 1 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Wildrrm:   

Just in case it helps, I have tried a variety of options to

a) save my data

b) repair or recover windows

after I probably turned off my machine during a Windows update.

I did end up reinstalling with a USB chip I made, but I ended up with 2 copies of my data. So maybe you will be able to save your data.

Thread is:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/ntoskrnl-exe-error-221-BSOD-nee...

Sheryll

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation