cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
hallieg123
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

WindowsXP Error: system32/drivers\isapnp.sys

I have an HP Pavilion A1520Y with Windows XP.  I'm getting the error message: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\isapnp.sys.  I went on the Recovery Console and entered the commands that Microsoft suggests for this Error, but then it says "Access denied".  I then typed the command "diskpart" (recommended by HP online support) and got to the page that says:  The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer".  But I don't understand HP's instructions on what to do with this list.  If I tell you what's on this list, can you help me from there?  Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Level 1 JohnTS4all
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When using the Microsoft suggestion (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315311) did you use the Administrator account when prompted? If the password for administrator is blank, just press enter.

0 Kudos
hallieg123
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, when it asked for the administrator password, I pressed "enter" and was able to get to the next step. 

Then I typed:

ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys isapnp.old

and got to the next step.

But when I typed:

expand cd-romdrive:\i386\isapnp.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys

it said "access denied".

Then I typed:

expand d:\i386\isapnp.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers
(because I didn't know what else to do) and it said "access denied" again.
Then I typed diskpart and got to the list of partitions and unpartitioned space on the computer.
(Thank you for replying.)

0 Kudos
Level 1 JohnTS4all
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you tried to boot into safe mode and doing a system restore from windows? You would press F8 on bootup (immediately after POST). See if that works for you.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
hallieg123
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did. I tried doing system restore from several different dates and each time it said the computer cannot be restored to this date. I don't know why (and I haven't searched to find out why). But thanks.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation