cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
zaraBLU57
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

Solved!

Works 8.0 does not work anymore

HP Recommended

I cannot use my Works programs.  Cannot use neither the word processor, the spreadsheet nor the database.  I get an error message.

for word processor:  wkswp.exe - unable to locate component

for spreadsheet:       wksss.exe - unable to locate component

for database:             wksdb.exe - unable to locate component

messages continues:- This application has failed to start because WkWbd.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix the problem.

This software programs can pre-installed so I cannot re-install it.  I don't even know why this has happen.  Recently installed Microsoft Office - Home and Student 2010 and had to uninstalled Office 2003 to do so, this was also  pre-installed .  Whether or not this had anything to do with problem I now face, I don' know.  I hope someone out there can help me fix this and tell me why it happened.

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Vidya
Level 14
Level 14
6,936 6,932 720 2,779
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think the core components of Works software are corrupted or deleted. To resolve the problem, please reinstall Works program.

Using Application Recovery (Windows 9x, Me, and XP):
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07142

Performing a Software Application or Driver Recovery in Windows Vista:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00834921

If this procedure do not help, please provide the model number of your system.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
zaraBLU57
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried to uninstalled Works program but could not.  I got an error message.

Error 1316 Anetwork error occured while attempting to read to file: c:\\WINDOWS\Installer\WORKS 8.MSI

I have a HP Paviliona1520n

0 Kudos
Vidya
Level 14
Level 14
6,936 6,932 720 2,779
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This indicates that many files of Works got corrupted along with uninstaller utility of MS-Works too. The alternative is to overwrite all the corrupted files by reinstalling MS-Works. You can reinstall it by using the Software Program Reinstallation procedure available in the following weblink:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00834921

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
zaraBLU57
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The above link is for Recovery in Windows Vista.   I have Windows XP Media Center Edition. 

0 Kudos
Hanspuppa
Level 10
4,494 4,482 314 1,466
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello zaraBLU57, You might try this Link for the information you require for Windows XP.

Windows XP is the same as Windows XP Media Center except for a very few Media features.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

zaraBLU57
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was already given the link for application installation using Windows XP. 

Re-installing Works 8 should be easy enough using PC Help & Tools > Application Recovery  BUT 

it suggests that I uninstall it first which.  Can't

I get an error message.

Error 1316: A network error occured while  attempting to read from this file  c:\\WINDOWS\Installer\WORKS 8.MSI

I even tried just going ahead with the Application Recovery without uninstalling.  Did not work.  Still getting error messages that I mentioned in my original post.

0 Kudos
KiranTalluri
Level 6
Level 6
317 317 19 119
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please press Ctrl + Shift + ESC Keys on the Keyboard at a time, it opens Task manager Window. Click Processes tab above.

Select the check box at the bottom 'Show Processes from all users'. Find 'MSIEXEC.EXE' in Image Name Column, select it, and click End Process. If you find any entries related to Works remove them too.

Now, click on the URL given below.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Windows-Installer-CleanUp-Utility-Download-18442.html
Click on Softpedia Mirror (US) [EXE]

Click Run, and click Yes to start installing it.

Once the installation has finished, click Start=->All Programs->Windows Installer Cleanup to launch it. It shows all the Programs installed on the PC.

Select the Works.MSI or Microsoft Works, and click Remove.

Click Start->My Computer->C:->Program Files->Microsoft Works, select all Files, and Delete them.

Reinstall it from Application Recovery (Click Start->All programs->PC Help and Tools->HP Application Recovery. Select Software Program Installation, select Works, and click Install).

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
zaraBLU57
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, KiranTalluri,  This help may work but for some odd reason the tool bar across the top of my Task Manager window is cut off, so I can't try it.  This problem is recent, only in last couple of days.  I don't know how to get the tool bars back or why it's gone.

0 Kudos
KiranTalluri
Level 6
Level 6
317 317 19 119
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When you open up Task Manager in Windows XP, there is no title bar, menu bar, or program tabs showing. Only the running applications,  End Task, Switch To, and New Task buttons show up.

This problem is easy to fix, the Task Manager is running in "tiny footprint mode". To correct this, simply double-click on the border around the window and it will return to its normal state. To place task manager back in "tiny footprint mode" again, double click again on the border around the window.

http://www.winxptutor.com/taskmgr.htm

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation