Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi there,  

I got three HP Z800 Workstation-Bodys and I tried to install two Xeon x5650 in each of them. unfortunately they do not start, i don´t get any picture and no error-beeps too. Only about 8 seconds the Fans of the body go to full speed. I have another Z800 running fine and i tested the Cpu´s and Ram there. It is unlikely that all tree Mainboards are out of order. Maybe the Bios has to be updated? But I don´t get into it to update. Has anybode an idea?  

best regards, Dirk

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Laggner, look at the 1 inch white label on the board located below the large black heatsink that covers the IOHs.  This "C/T label" has a barcode and several numbers.  If the board has an assembly number "AS#460838-001", the system will support only the "Nehalem" Intel 55xx Xeon processors.  If the board has an assembly number "AS#460383-003", the board will support both the Nehalem and also the "Westmere" 56xx Xeons. 

If the boards came with BIOS v01.xx, the BIOS boot block supports only the Nehalem processors. The BIOS can be updated to v03.xx, but the boot block will not be updated (for security reasons).  That is why the x5650 processors will not boot. 

(I posted a similar comment in your other thread about using a W3680 in the Z800) 

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

Dirk,

Then, assuming you have the earlier motherboard that will only support the Nehalem codename 55xx Xeons you need to look only at those to get your three treasures up and running.  You'll need to dig and find what 55xx processors specifically were HP certified for those workstations.  Try first looking up you specific model(s) of Z800s, from the silver tag.  Find those in the HP PartSurfer system, and they'll have a list of processors.

Then, maybe just buy a single used one off eBay and get one up and running.... but a cheap slow one to test with.  Prove you have 3 functional workstations.... you can't even get into BIOS to check the boot block date right now.

Then, look into the fastest ones you want to consider buying used off eBay and build up from there.  Remember, the latest microcode list is embedded in the latest BIOS, and if you have really old BIOS your microcode list might not include even the 55xx Xeon you buy, so read Dan's prior posts on BIOS-updating the ZX00 workstations.  He is very clear about that in some prior threads from the past.

Finally, HP does not "support" processor upgrades from what came with your boxes originally, but many of us have accomplished that quite nicely.  You have significant research to do, but the answers are all here.

Keep us posted!

HP Recommended

Dirk,

Please dump that other same-issue thread you have going simultaneously, if possible.

So, I did some of my usual work on this type of question, using eBay as a great resource.... search eBay under HP Z800, order by cost and shipping lowest first, work your way up, and start writing down the workstations with 55xx Xeons.  Ignore the 56xx ones.

I did that for 4:

Model    MHz   MaxTDP  sSpec code  eBay cost projection (USD)

E5520    2.26       80        SLBFD            25.00

X5550    2.66       95        SLBF5            50.00

X5560    2.80       95        SLBF4            55.00

X5570    2.93       95        SLBF3            85.00

There will be more you can find in there.  Do your eBay search for the individual processors via sSpec code generally, especially if there are more than one sSpec code for the same processor (in which case you'll want the latest stepping).

Do your search for sSpec codes via entering the model and Xeon in google:  E5520 Xeon.  Then find the listing near the top with Ark in the address.... the main Intel site.  Bottom left column of that site result will get you the sSpec listing.... for these there generally is only one, so that makes things easy.

There is a point in the MaxTDP where you need to shift up from the "mainstream" heatsink to the "performance" one.  I don't know that threshold, but there are posts in here about the different types.... often the motherboard will alarm if you have a hot type processor under a mainstream heatsink.  You need to do some research.

You have 3 great workstations there..... maybe just spend 25.00 to get your process going.  I hope you have at least mainstream fans for those, and ideally 2 for each.

Don't forget to update your BIOS when you get these things running.... I like to update BIOS from within BIOS with the .bin file for the update (in the DOS folder of the SoftPaq).

Scott

HP Recommended

Hello,

I got the same problem and my motherboard is marked with the  following IDs:

SP#576202-001  and AS#460838-002 and also

CT: PAWWH0HM4YP00H Rev 0H

What does that mean in terms of CPU choice?

Thanks, 

Jo

HP Recommended

Here is the best way to determine what procesors a Z800 supports.  

Go into the F10 BIOS BIOS settings, and look at the Boot Block Date in System Information.
     If the boot block date is 01/30/2009, the system only supports the Intel 55xx processors.
     If the boot block date is 11/10/2009, the system supports both Intel 55xx and 56xx processors.

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

I also I have a HP Z800 with the following features:
- BIOS Date block  11/10/09
- Motherboard AS # 460838003
- 4GB ram 2rx4 pc3 x 24 GB
- CPU Intel XEON X5650 09 slbv3 266Gh 12M 6.40.
I installed a second processor equal to the previous year (Intel XEON  X5650 09), but it doesn't works:  the fans come to the maximum and the PC doesn't start.
Solve this problem, thanks

HP Recommended

Update your BIOS to the latest, which is 3.60 as of 4/16.

You cannot get better advice than from Dan-WGBU.  He is a high level HP engineer, has been helpful here for years now, and has access to internal HP documentation and engineering that would not be available from any other source.

Your boot block date documents that you have a "Version 2" motherboard.... it is 11/10/09, not from January 2009.

My guess is that you have a bad second processor.  I'd recommend trying that second processor in a single processor configuration, with it being in socket 0.  See if that works, and if it does then try your known-good original processor in socket 1 (the second socket).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.