cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Sebbj Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

XW 4400 Motherboard - Front Audio Schematic

Hi, i am searching for a xw4400 motherboard front audio Schematic / Pinout,

I've read several posts and fortunately i know that i have to connect Pin 10 to the Ground so that the error message "Front audio not connected"  won't appear any more :smileyhappy:

Finally got rid of that one, but i would like to use my new Front-Panel with Audio, at least the Audio-Out. Would be nice if someone has the right schematic for this Motherboard: FMB-0602 E93839

PS: The Front audio P23 is a single row header with 10 pins. Maybe compatrible with other HP Schematics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Professor
Professor
1,729 1,624 155 477
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you search the HP Forum for "pinout" you'll get close to what you're asking for.  There should be a lot of crossover from one workstation to the next.

0 Kudos
Sebbj Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Scott, thanks for your fast reply,

I searched for "pinout" already, due to that fact i know that i have to ground Pin No. 10.

Unfortunetely there isn't even a single schematic/pinout for a front audio within this forum. All i was able to find were differend pinouts for a front control panel. These aren't the pinouts i need.

I wouldn't have asked if i had found something else that i could use.
^^

Any other solution maybe?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Professor
Professor
1,729 1,624 155 477
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Happy to help out..... I don't have access to a xw4400, but hopefully some of the attached info will work for you.

Attached is a pinout Word document I posted previously, and it does refer to the front Audio header, but with no details regarding what does what.

You probably already have the technical manual for that workstation, but if not one is attached.

Let me know if you need me to dig into one of my xw6400's and give you any added wiring info, or to take a picture and attach that.

Scott

0 Kudos
Professor
Professor
1,729 1,624 155 477
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Had a spare xw6400 handy, and so attached is a picture of the motherboard end of its front audio cable.  That cable goes forward from the bottom rear motherboard attachment (P23 is the motherboard attachment designation) nonstop out to the front connector interface which includes the USB ports, etc.

In the past during motherboard swaps it has been clear that a small triangle printed on the motherboard designates "Pin 1" of the headers, and there also may be numbers printed to allow figuring out the pinout numbers, which are in that Word document I attached earlier, for other motherboard headers.

For P23 in the xw6400 here are the wire colors.  Pin 1 is the far left pin in the motherboard header, when viewed with the workstation standing up on its feet (that is the pin closest to the rear backplane):

1    Thicker black wire, which looks identical to pin 10 wire

2    Yellow

3    Blue

4    Red

5    Green

6    Black (thinner wire, like the other colored wires noted)

7    Empty

8    White

9    Purple

10  Thicker black wire as was seen for pin 1

The various cables that aggregate into the front connector interface where you can plug your USB, etc. devices in enter into the rear of that through individual attachments, and you would need to dig into the interface to figure out where each of the 9 wires wires noted above end up attaching to the microphone and headphone jacks.

Perhaps you could get one of those off eBay, dissect it, and post back with the added details.  I have attached the motherboard end connector picture for P23, and the face that you are looking at would be directed towards the bottom of the computer if it was plugged into the motherboard, for reference.  It only goes in one way.

0 Kudos
Sebbj Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Scotty,

Sorry for replying just now.. took me a while on a other job.

Your last reply was exactly what i needed. I recently got one. As soon as i'll get my equipment on my hands i'm going to check the pinouts. I.E Front left, front right, mic and so on..

Keep up the good work :smileyhappy: and Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
lezion Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello. Any updates? I have xw8400 and diffrened case, no front audio so I also want to know these schematics.

0 Kudos
Professor
Professor
1,729 1,624 155 477
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The combined 2xUSB, Headphone jack, Mic jack, and Firewire port (top to bottom) assemblies for the xw6400, xw6600, xw8400, and xw8600 all look to be wired exactly the same, and are likely similar or identical for a number of other HP workstations such as the xw4400.  I had a chance to see if I could retrofit USB 3.0 cables into one of these for a xw6600 project, and realized it is not possible without destroying the assembly.  There are soldered grounds from each of the ports to the silver RF metal shielding you see in the first picture, and the shield is affixed to the plastic port holder in a way that breaking the plastic is necessary.  The destroyed one is on the right; the one with the RF shield in place is on the left in that picture.

The Headphone/Mic jacks each has a small orangish resistor in-line with the ground attachment.  The two thicker black wires referred to previously bond together at the plug end with the cable shielding, so those two are in continuity.  The pinout with colors is attached as a scanned jpeg.  The jacks look identical, are Foxconn, and one of the 4 connectors surrounding the plug hole is a dual plate setup where putting in the plug likely physically establishes continuity between those two plates.  Those familiar with these types of devices probably can deduce the electrical pathways from this information.  Putting in a headphone plug, for example, automatically mutes the workstation's speaker output.

There you go.................

0 Kudos
Professor
Professor
1,729 1,624 155 477
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Attached is a PDF version of the pinout page

0 Kudos
lezion Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Scott,

Now I figured out what's certain pins do and I was able to plug audio to my non hp case front output :smileyhappy:

I am providing description pinout for someone who could be interested. That works for my xw8400 and it might work for other machines.

_

|+|                  1. Ground

|+|                  2. Headphones Left

|+|                  3. Sens_Send

|+|                  4. Headphones Right

|+|                  5. Sens_return 2
|+|                  6. Mic_Right
|. |                  7. Empty (no key)
|+|                  8. Mic_Left

|+|                  9. Sens_return 1

|+|                  10. Presence#

P23

Cheers :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation