Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rj22 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yet another problem with beeping at startup, no function with monitor, keyboard, etc.

Since it is Expert Day, can the pros please help, as the problem is exactly the same problem as the following post:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Monitors-and-video/computer-turns-on-monitor-doesnt/td-p/203242

It appears there are several people having this same exact issue, including me.

This is a wide-spread problem and short of spending hundreds of dollars on parts, please HP, help your users.

My problem is the exact same problem as the original poster, same exact pc model and specs.

There is one small exception to the original poster's problem and mine.  His mouse does not work along with his monitor.  I have an optical mouse that lights up.  My keyboard however, does not light up, and of course, my monitor is powered on but black.  I've seen other users stating the same exact problem:  monitor on but black screen, no keyboard lights, no mouse operation.  

After three days of trying to find the problem, I went so far as to replace my modem with a new one, and even bought a new monitor. Only to find out I wasted money on an issue that is not modem or monitor specific. Now I have two perfectly good working monitors but they won't work with my pc because of a common issue that HP cannot or will not help multiple users with this problem.

1)  What is causing the continuous long beep at startup?  Even an extensive google search did not result in a specific (BIOS) code for a "continuous long beep" at startup.  All other beep codes are stated as short and interval beeps, which do not occur in my situation.  I have never had short beeps, only a long continous one every time the pc tries to boot up.  Of course, since the monitor can't get a signal, I have no idea what BIOS is trying to do.

2)  Why is the monitor on but black and non-operational?

3)  Why is the monitor showing "no signal", "check cable connection", and "monitor is going to sleep"?

4)  Why does the monitor's other buttons fail to function?  All that happens when other buttons are pushed is "monitor is going to sleep".  Another monitor used to test would also not work on the pc in question.

5)  All connections and pins are fine with both the monitor and all other pc components.  All parts are seated correctly.  All fans are running correctly and there is no overheating inside the case.  Before the problem, disk memory was fine, all other pc diagnostics indicated nothing wrong.

I've had this pc for exactly 2 years, of course, now past the warranty period.    All similar posts in HP's support forum, as well as google searches point to bad video card or bad motherboard or both.  Apparently, others buying or getting an HP motherboard replaced does not fix the problem, since it keeps occuring.

Users spent a fair amount of money on these new pc models in the last year or two, and now must spend even more to keep them working.  The issues are not user-caused, they are caused by faulty components in the pc, undoubtedly the video card and motherboard.

I and others here would very much appreciate a fix posted right here in your forum.  Many have suggested HP extend their warranty for this specific problem, is this not an acceptable solution?  Is it not acceptable for HP to replace the video card and motherboard with new, working, compatible and adequate video cards and motherboards?  The alternative is unthinkable.  I will not buy another HP if it will not be supported.  I will not buy a new video card and motherboard if it will also not be supported when it fails again.  I will not spend hundreds of dollars more on service when service personnel are only telling me it's the video card and/or motherboard and to contact HP support. 

Since it is Expert Day, please pros, help us out here.  Please acknowledge this IS a wide-spread problem and offer solutions rather than the 20-step-process unhooking everything and all the tests, which we've already done to no avail!

Thank you.

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Intern
Intern
20 20 0 13
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yet another problem with beeping at startup, no function with monitor, keyboard, etc.

Hi rj22,

I do recognize that your experience of the problem you face is "beyond frustrating".

I'll offer a couple of comments, and a suggestion for additional trouble-shooting, plus some safety resources.

First the comments and resources:

Both you and the original poster have apparently taken extensive time and effort to problem-solve your situation.

The other poster appears convinced that it is an operating system (Win 7) related problem.

You have replaced the Monitor, hoping it was a faulty monitor.

And you also replaced your modem, though this component is not likely involved in the described problem.

The described problem seems most likely to be Hardware related, and my first suspicion is HEAT.

Though I am not familiar with beep-codes for your specific machine, when I've encountered long continuous beep at boot time, the problem has been HEAT or failed hardware (RAM, CPU, GPU or connectors)

You describe that you (and the other poster) have inspected and reseated most of your components, but neither of you have reported inspecting the surface between the HeatSink and CPU.  It is possible that after two years of operation, the TIM (Thermal Interface Material) has become hardened or otherwise disfunctional.

Resource:  Please assure that you are familiar with Electro-Static Discharge Precautions

Resource: About Thermal Interface Material

Note: The CPU can go from off-cool, to extremely hot in excess of operating range within mere seconds of booting.

And this may be the cause of the long continuous beep (even though the HeatSinkFan appears to spin)

Consider removing the HeatSinkFan Assembly in order to inspect the surface between the HeatSink and the CPU

Take the proper precautions and follow the information/instructions included in the above link.

In order to rule-out Operating system (Win 7) as the source of your difficulties, you can create a bootable Linux CD.

Puppy would be a good selection, downloadable here:

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download Latest Release.htm

Use a known-good computer to download and burn the iso to CD.

Then insert the Puppy Linux into your problematic machine's optical drive.

Boot your machine.

Though BIOS settings "may" interfere, the machine should boot from CD if it cannot find Windows on the Hard Drive.

If the machine Boots successfully from Linux Puppy,  then you have demonstrated that your Hardware is fine, and that the problem is in the Operating sytstem.

I'm still leaning toward a HEAT related problem, and the above recommendations, but give Puppy a try to help narrow down the possibilities.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
rj22 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Doug,

Thank you for responding.

I should note, both myself and the orginal poster from the above link have Windows Vista Home Premium installed (the OP's *first* computer, his second pc had Windows 7 Home Premium),

I am *not* convinced at all that it is a Vista problem.  My pc ran beautifully until the problems surfaced just days ago. I don't abuse it, don't have many programs installed, don't game online, nothing resource intensive.  The first problem started with a freeze of an online webpage, then a BSOD, a memory dump, a specific error code, then multiple reboots.. The error code was stating a specific driver required updating, but neither Microsoft nor pc diagnostics could find an update let alone info on the driver, and the diagnostics kept saying the driver was updated all along.  There was no option to change it or update it.   I did not uninstall the driver, I disabled it from device manager.  (That seemed to work temporarily for about a day before the bootup failed and monitor went blank.)

A day later, while surfing, the BSOD's kept occuring and again, multiple reboots.  Finally, the monitor went blank (although power was still on), the keyboard lights went out, but the mouse light stayed on.  None of the three are functional, despite multiple reconnects, disconnects, reconnects.

I suspected a modem problem when I used my laptop as a backup resource to get online to search problems relating to my pc model.  My laptop is a different manufacturer running Windows 7.   When the pc failed to boot and when the monitor and keyboard stopped functioning, I found that I was also not able to connect online with my laptop (which uses the modem and a wireless router).  Diagnostics on the laptop indicated a modem problem.

Knowing I couldn't get the pc fixed at this point, I replaced the modem.  Of course, since the pc isn't booting and the monitor isn't working so I can see if new drivers were downloaded, I simply installed it, and checked my laptop.  Sure enough, I was able to get back online with my laptop.

I don't know if it is a concidence that my pc won't boot or monitor won't display a screen and the modem ceased working at the same time.  Nonetheless, my previous monitor works, the new monitor works, but neither will work on the pc.  It still beeps one long continuous whenever I turn on the pc. 

I've dusted nearly everything inside the pc's case, used compressed air etc.  It's possible I may have missed a spot or two and I did not take the heat sink out to inspect, thanks for the tip, I will do so tomorrow.  I am not confident this will solve the problem, however, especially in light of all I've read with others with the same problem.

I refuse to buy a new video card or motherboard for this pc.  I fear doing so will only recreate the problem later on.

That said,  how can I get data off the pc to save?  Right after the first BSOD, I tried to backup my files, and the pc spit out an error that my backup did not complete.  Another try, same failure.  I have no other backup of my files.  If I understand correctly, even a new motherboard or other change would erase all my data, is that correct?  Am I screwed?

HP, if you're reading, I would appreciate your advice and support of this non-functional PC!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
9425 9422 878 2535
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In regards to retreiving the data from the hard drive:  This would be my plan. Purchase an external adapter to connect the hard drive to, similar to this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276554&Sku=ULT40112

Connect the hard drive to the adapter and then connect the USB lead to a know good computer.  If the Windows OS of the known good computer can recognize the external adapter/hard drive then copy the data to another media, such as on the hosting computer's hard drive or onto CD/DVD's.  If that does not work, try this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windo...

Disregard the mention of Vista, if that bothers you as it will work with any Windows OS.

As for the other issues, I would suspect a hardware failure.  The long continuous beep, if it happened right away and with the BSOD probably means the CPU fried.  It could be a motherboard, but either way, it is much trouble and expense.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Professor Professor
Professor
2170 2091 101 362
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi rj22,

Thanks for the excellent description of the issue and things you have tried. Sorry this has happened to your PC.

Is your PC a a6300f?

The thread you linked to had a few different models posted. The a6300f is now over 3 years old. I'm not saying you've owned it that long. I'm just saying that based on the product's specifications  that is how long ago it was released.

I sympathize with how frustrating it is when your PC doesn't work. I've had PCs die on me too. I've actually experienced the same symptoms you mention but on completely different PCs. This is because these symptoms can be related to video, motherboard, hard drive, memory, BIOS, or even OS issues. As you can see by the number of issues that these symptoms can relate to, it is next to impossible to pinpoint one exact fix based on the symptoms alone.

I read through this thread and the thread you linked to (which was originally posted a year ago). While it does appear there are a number of people experiencing similar issues, not all of their symptoms or solutions are the same. Just as you mentioned sometimes the keyboard and mouse work, sometimes they don't. Some people get beeps, some don't. Sometimes it's the motherboard, sometimes it's something else. When it comes to identifying a significant failure, it has to be able to be replicated almost without varience in order to identify the single component causing the problem. Thus, you would have to troubleshoot each of the PCs mentioned in these threads in all the exact same way to see if they have the same issue. I'm not saying this as a way to downplay your issue or frustration. I just want to provide my personal opinion on this to give a little more perspective to the challenges your post presented (I don't speak for HP, just trying to help where I can). The main point I'm making is just because issue symptoms may seem similar, it doesn't mean every PC is suffering the same issue. Just like with humans, we get cold symptoms like coughing and sneezing, yet we don't all have the same sickness just because the symptoms are the same.

I know it is easy to bash HP over something that looks like a failed piece of hardware, and as a customer myself I can see why you'd want to. One thing I think people sometimes overlook though when they are frustrated is that HP actually guarantees it's hardware for 1year. How many other companies do that? Many offer just a few months.

Now onto your questions:

1)  What is causing the continuous long beep at startup?  Even an extensive google search did not result in a specific (BIOS) code for a "continuous long beep" at startup.  All other beep codes are stated as short and interval beeps, which do not occur in my situation.  I have never had short beeps, only a long continous one every time the pc tries to boot up.  Of course, since the monitor can't get a signal, I have no idea what BIOS is trying to do.

Mister_Do:  I'm not positive what is causing the problem, but I suspect it is a video or motherboard issue just as you are seeing. You are right that most beep codes are short or interval beeps. When you have a long beep, my experience indicates a video or memory failure of somekind. This PC has integrated video with the motherboard. Have you tried installing a new video card and disabling onboard video in the BIOS? Have you tried reseating/replacing the memory (RAM)?

2)  Why is the monitor on but black and non-operational?

Mister_Do: Because the monitor is working but it's not receiving a signal from the PC.

3)  Why is the monitor showing "no signal", "check cable connection", and "monitor is going to sleep"?

Mister_Do: Because the monitor is working but it's not receiving a signal from the PC.

4)  Why does the monitor's other buttons fail to function?  All that happens when other buttons are pushed is "monitor is going to sleep".  Another monitor used to test would also not work on the pc in question.

5)  All connections and pins are fine with both the monitor and all other pc components.  All parts are seated correctly.  All fans are running correctly and there is no overheating inside the case.  Before the problem, disk memory was fine, all other pc diagnostics indicated nothing wrong.

Mister_Do: I don't think this is a heat related issue, unless there was some sort of heat damage that already occured with the hardware. Heat can make components go bad. If the PC has ever been in an enclosed area or built up a lot of dust, this can cause hardware to fail. Prior to the failur had you ever tried updating the BIOS? Like I mentioned before, you may also want to try making sure the memory is seated correctly and that it is still functional. You also may want to try installing a video card to over-ride the onboard video.

Also, I agree with what one of the other people said regarding getting your data off the hard drive. You can get an external drive converter cable or kit and use your drive as an external drive then put your data on any PC you want.

Sorry I didn't have an exact answer for you and that my reply was a little long winded. But I did want you to know HP does care about your experience with us and about your issues. That's why I'm volunteering my time on this forum and why we hold these Expert Days. We want to help in anyway we can. Sometime the help people need, we can't easily give. It's hard to fix hardware over the internet Smiley Happy

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
rj22 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you, TheOldMan and Mister_Do,

Yes, it's an a6300f.  Everything has been reseated, took the heat sink off, it was clean but cleaned it anyway, I couldn't find anything telling on the CPU,  can't do anything with BIOS without screen, clearing CMOS on the board didn't do a thing.  I'm not going to buy a video card without first trying to get my data off the pc.

I am going to try the adapter, and use an external drive, and see if the pc drive can be detected.   If it can't,  the pc will unfortunately, probably be taken for pro data retrieval and I suspect, told it's the motherboard.   If the adapter detects the drive, and I can recover it, I'll post an update.

I really appreciate the tips and suggestions. 

0 Kudos
rj22 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just wanted to update the thread.  Thanks to TheOldMan, I bought the adapter you linked to, it worked like a charm, got all my files saved!  I'm going to get a second one just to have on hand, what a nifty little tool!

The drive will be used as external storage.  Also have additional external drive. 

The pc is going to the dump, I won't be buying another HP again.  Next purchase will be another laptop with the other manufacturer that I've been more than pleased with.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice, short of spending more money on useless components, I'm more happy that I was able to recover my data

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
151 147 2 13
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hi...just a workaround...i have boot up troubles on and off and sometimes i turn the computer off and prior to boot up i disconnect the monitor f the computer , boot up and then after ten secs or so, i put the monitor line back in and away she goes...

0 Kudos
PEye2000 Tutor
Tutor
18 12 0 1
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

has anyone tried this? below.. I have a similar NO POST No monitor, I need a copy of the bios file for this mother board,,

AMIBIOS Recovery bootblock:
1. Copy a known working BIOS image for your board to a floppy and rename it to AMIBOOT.ROM.
2. Insert the floppy in your system's floppydrive.
3. Power on the system while holding CTRL+Home keys. Release the keys when you hear a beep and/or see the floppy light coming on.
4 . Just wait until you hear 4 beeps. When 4 beeps are heard the reprogramming of the System Block BIOS went succesfull, so then you may restart your system.

Some alternative keys that can be used to force BIOS update (only the System Block will be updated so it's quite safe):
CTRL+Home= restore missing code into system block and clear CMOS when programming went ok.
CTRL+Page Up= restore missing code into system block and clear CMOS or DMI when programming went ok.
CTRL+Page Down= restore missing code into system block and do not clear CMOS and DMI area when programming went ok
Btw: the alternative keys work only with AMIBIOS 7 or higher (so for example an AMI 6.26 BIOS can be only recovered by using CTRL+Home keys).
Boot Block Recovery for FREE

Read more: How to fix Boot Block | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2185633_fix-boot-block.html#ixzz1Cv3WmmaA

0 Kudos
cbuzas Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue down to the locking up during web-surfing.  Please let me know if  you or HP finds anything out.  This has become very disappointing.

Regards,

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation