cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
74 57 1 15
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z1 - Quadro 1000m Housing/Enclosure Module

is the plastic nvidia housing/enclosure (fan, heatsink module) used with the quadro 500m and 1000m cards (type a cards) the same one that's used with quadro 3000m and 4000m cards (type b cards)? in other words, do all of the cards (500m, 1000m, 3000m, 4000m) employ the same z1/nvidia housing/enclosure module? if so, what is the part number for this module? if the cards use different modules, what are the part number for each?

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Intern
Intern
74 57 1 15
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

what i've found:

apparently there are two types of z1 hsf (heatsink/fan) modules used for quadro cards albeit they are very similar in appearnce:

- one type is used for quadro 500m and 1000m cards (type-a cards) which measure 82mm x 70mm. the part # is 682304-001.

- the other type is used for quadro 3000m and 4000m cards (type-b cards) which measure 82mm x 105mm. the part number is 682305-001.

according to the hp tech i spoke with, the fan is slightly larger in the module used with type-b cards and the seating area for the mxm card is slightly larger as well.

i have a z1 on it's way that includes an installed quadro 1000m card which i plan to replace with the following:

hp z1 type-b module

oem nvidia gtx 675m

it appears the gtx 675m will fit the type-b module perfectly given it also measures 82mm x 105mm, the same as the 3000m and 4000m quadro cards. in fact the 675m card looks almost identical to the quadro 4000m card including gpu placement (675m left, 4000m right):

zzzz01.jpg

82mm x 105mm is a typical mxm card size, i.e. it appears many different types of oem mxm type-b cards will fit in the z1 type-b module including quadro, gtx, amd and radeon although i'm fairly certain hp would not offer suuport for any other cards other than quadros.

here's a look at the z1 type-b hsf module, including card replacement (which can be found in full in hp's repair/replacement video archive):

zzzz02.jpg

worth noting: i've noticed that mxm type-b cards have a white stamp below the gpu, on the board, that reads "HF" or "NON-HF". not sure what this designation means, if anything, in terms of z1 compatability - however the mxm cards i've seen in z1 units seem to all have the "HF" designation...

Chippy_boy Tutor
Tutor
12 12 0 0
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for posting this - it is REALLY helpful since this is exactly what I am planning to do.  Please do let us know if your project is successful and any pitfalls to avoid.

By the way, any reason you are looking at a 675M, as opposed to a 675MX?  (or 680M)?

The 675M is cheaper obviously, but would you expect an MX to be OK?

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
74 57 1 15
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i decided to go with the 675m because i was able to pick it up at a very low price, important because who knows if gtx cards are compatible with the z1, didn't want to take a $500-$600 gamble. a lot of these type of mxm graphics cards seem to be popular on ebay and elsewhere, quite a few listed, so if it doesn't work i'll just put it on ebay and pick up a quadro 4000m instead, which we know is supported...

i also just ordered a habey hb-mat5070 hd tv card, it's a mini pci-e card that i'm hoping will work with the z1, i've heard good things about this tv card, seems to be well made....

http://www.habeyusa.com/products_show.php?id=316#Menu=ChildMenu0

z1 motherboard showing mini pci-e slots (one in use):

09 mpcie.jpg

h02.jpg

h03.jpg

Chippy_boy Tutor
Tutor
12 12 0 0
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks again mate - really appreciate it.

i haven't got my Z1 yet, but I think I will order a 675MX and try my luck.  I'll let you know how I get on, but it will be in a couple of weeks.

Very interesting about the mini PCI-E slots.  I didn't even know it ahead any of those.

This machine gets more and more interesting by the day!

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
74 57 1 15
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

yeah, these machines are definitely intriguing in terms of non work station use, albeit overkill for my needs, but what the heck. anyway l'll let you know how things work out on my end as well...

btw, my unit arrived yesterday but the glass screen monitor was shattered - i didn't remove it from the box to further inspect it once i saw the damage to the screen, just resealed it and ups picked it up today, i shuld be getting a replacement by the end of the week. what i did notice before resealing the box was that these things are tanks (aside from the glass of course),  heavy, look to be extremely well made, and the monitor glass is very thick. the adpater carriage kit for the 2.5" ssd came today, can't believe they're close to $100 on hp's website and elsewhere, am happy i found one on ebay for $30 new.

Mister_Tad Tutor
Tutor
15 14 1 1
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too am eagerly awaiting your results.

I've noticed in the latest bulletin update...

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14263_div/14263_div.HTML

... that the Quadro K4000M is now supported, which is mostly a 670/675MX - which seems at least somewhat promising - and if Geforce cards simply don't work for whatever reason, gives an additional (albeit expensive) performance option.

0 Kudos
svea Tutor
Tutor
10 8 0 0
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

GTX cards do not work with out special modified drivers. Witch you have to make up your self.

0 Kudos
Chippy_boy Tutor
Tutor
12 12 0 0
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@svea wrote:

GTX cards do not work with out special modified drivers. Witch you have to make up your self.

To be blunt (although I do not mean to be rude), I find that difficult to understand or believe.  Why would you need a non-standard driver to drive a standard GTX graphics card running on a standard Intel chipset motherboard?  Makes no sense.

There is nothing nonstandard about the machine that would indicate that normal nVidia drivers would not work.

The much more likely pitfall - if there is one - would be if HP had deliberately put something in the bios that checks whether the card is from an HP approved list.  But they have said they have not done so.  Nor would it make sense for them to do it.  (A) it would have taken development effort and cost to put in this restriction, (B) I doubt they even considered the possibility that people would try this, and (C) they could have introduced other physical restrictions had they wanted to prevent such upgrades, and they have not.  Also (D) it would lessen the appeal of the machine, so why do it?

I am 90% sure the bios will be fine and a Z1 with a GTX card will boot up perfectly and I am 99.99% sure that standard nVidia drivers will work perfectly.

Unless you know differently?

Anyway, we will know soon enough. My Z1 arrived today and I will get the other bits soon and will try it.  The other tricky bit is buying the right MXM card.  It is conceivable the graphics card firmware could be a problem if its designed for e.g. an Alienware laptop and expects to be installed in one.  Again, unlikely however.

0 Kudos
plympton Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you have the chance (& ability) can you test the display switching perfromance (shift-ctrl-s-d).  I'm wondering if it's a BIOS thing (doubt it) or a software thing (betting on it).  If software, and it's that Portrait Labs software, I fear the worst.  I'm wondering if the screen input function works in Linux (& other OS's).  Why they didn't just put a switch on the display on something this high end, I'll never know.

Sounds like All display functionality is tied to the OS - again, not a great sign - like brightness, contrast, etc.  I didn't see anything in the reference docs about it having real buttons for that stuff anywhere.

Also, if anyone wants to sell their graphics cards, ping me.  I have an Intel only version coming some day.  🙂

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation