Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z240 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have a new Z240 Workstation with a Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 nVMe SSD.

Windows 10 will install to the SSD from USB no problem but the machine fails to find the OS post install.

The Samsung 950 Pro SSD does not show up in the UEFI section of the BIOS, but it does show up under Legacy devices.

Secure Boot is not enabled.

If I add a SATA HDD,  Windows Boot Manager gets installed on the SATA device and the machine will then boot Windows 10 from SSD.

How do I get the machine to boot from SSD without having to have a SATA HDD installed?

I've updated the BIOS from 01.11 to 01.21 with no change in the above.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

had the same problem with the same samsung m.2 SSD....  Even HP Support was not able (or willing) to help.

after spending hours, i finally found the solution :

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=8354563&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c05...

HP Recommended

I have Windows 10 booting via NVME on a Samsung 950 Pro.

BIOS version: N51 Ver. 01.21 03/02/2016

I beleive I am using BIOS defaults. 

Option ROM Launch Policy is set to "ALL UEFI"

I don't see the Samsung M.2 950 Pro in the BIOS boot menu device list but it boots nicely into Windows 10.

The M.2 950 Pro is the only storage device in the PC

Model of the PC is: HP Z240 Tower Workstation

SKU is: L9K19UT#ABA (I am in Canada)

Perhaps its simply fixed in this version of the BIOS

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.