Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am using a Z600 Workstation at work and I requested of a harddisk upgrade however when one of my colleagues from our Infrastructure team tried to work on the Z600 he couldn't find the key.

As I inherited the workstation I also don't have keys for the side panel...

Is there a way of accessing the workstation and/or can we order a spare key from HP?

Regards,

T

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It's probably the same "301" key as is used on the Z620, the xw6600, and the xw6400, each version of which just locked/opened any of the others I have here at the moment.  Don't go telling anyone.

Get a locksmith involved if you want a higher level of security for that lock in the future.  It is obviously only to keep the riffraff out.  A locksmith can swap in a dedicated alternative barrel lock/key for your HP workstation that wil not be the "301" key type.

The workstations generally come with two of those keys, and hopefully there is another HP workstation in the building you can borrow one from.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

It's probably the same "301" key as is used on the Z620, the xw6600, and the xw6400, each version of which just locked/opened any of the others I have here at the moment.  Don't go telling anyone.

Get a locksmith involved if you want a higher level of security for that lock in the future.  It is obviously only to keep the riffraff out.  A locksmith can swap in a dedicated alternative barrel lock/key for your HP workstation that wil not be the "301" key type.

The workstations generally come with two of those keys, and hopefully there is another HP workstation in the building you can borrow one from.

HP Recommended

There is no spare part for the key due to the very very low request from the customer.

As Scott mentioned, most of workstation keys are compatible. If your system is still under warranty and do not have any other HP workstation, please call HP Support. I cannot guarantee that HP can provid eit but I believe that they may be able to provide it for you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.