Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Z640 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I currently bought a brand new HP Z640 Workstation with 1 CPU and try to enlarge the memory of 32GB (4x 8GB 1Rx4 PC4-2133P-R) to 128GB (4x 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-L).

I have a problem with these 4x 32GB memories: The two rear fans made a big noise. I found that the fans rotated about 2000 rpm.

When I restore these 4x 8GB memories, the Z640 is quiet again. I have also tried with 4x 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-R (RDIMM). The same problem of noise comes again.

Has anybody the experience?  

Thank in advance.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@uwe_schmidt123, welcome to the forum.

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for the computer.  Read the information on Page 24 to see if you have purchased the correct memory.  It appears that it may be incorrect.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

The used memory was purchased according to the page 14 of “QuickSpecs HP Z640 Workstation”: 32GB DDR4-2133 ECC Load Reduced (LR) RAM  J9P84AA (32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-L). It should be correct.

P14_Z640_QuickSpecs.jpg

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @uwe_schmidt123.

Have you tried installing each 32GB stick one at a time to see if it is works?  This will make certain that they are not faulty.

HP Recommended

Hi @old_geekster,

Many thanks for your attention.

This Z640 is configured with 1x Xeon E5-2683v3 and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I’ve used 1x, 2x and 4x DIMMs of 32GB to check it. The fans always rotated at high speed 2000RPM and made great noise. I did some pictures with “HP Performance Advisor” to describe this problem.

1.)  1x 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P-L Samsung

2.)  2x 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P-L Samsung

When I used 8GB or 16GB DDR4 memory: 4x 8GB 1Rx4 PC4-2400T-R or 4x 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-R. All fans rotated at 500~600RPM. The Z640 is very quiet.

All tests are done using same FAN Idle mode: -------

1x32GB.jpg

2x32GB.jpg

4x16GB.jpg

4x8GB.jpg

Fan_mode.jpg

HP Recommended

When these 4x 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P-L DIMM are I installed in a HP Z840 Workstation. Z840 is also very quiet and the fans run normally.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @uwe_schmidt123

It appears that the memory is not compatible with your motherboard for some reason.  I suggest contacting Samsung's Tech Support to see if they can give you a reason for what is happening.  It would not be the first time that I have seen an instance where memory that was supposed to correct didn't work.  I wish that I could be more help.

HP Recommended

Hi @old_geekster,

Many thanks for your suggestion.

However, I do not consider that the great noise came just from Samsung memory. I have also installed Micron 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-R in this Z640 (HP Kit Part Number: T9V41AA [Page 15 of QuickSpecs of Z640 Version 22: http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04400040]). The same problem of noise still occurred with Micron memory. Please see the attached picture.

Could you please ask HP Supporter? Were 32GB DDR4 (LRDIMM and RDIMM) tested in the Z640 Workstation? From Z840 QuickSpecs you can see that Z840 has the lower noise emissions with 32GB DDR on the Page 27-28 (http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04400043).

The noise emissions of Z640 were only carried out with 8GB and 16GB DDR4, not 32GB DDR4. Perhaps the available BIOS of Z640 have the problem with 32GB DDR4 and lead to compatibility with any 32GB DDR4, whether Samsung / Micron / Hynix.

great_noise_32GB_DDR4.jpg

HP Recommended

mixing different memory modules always leads to problems

HP Recommended

Hi @gabornico,

If you see the attached picture, you could find the memory modules of Samsung and Micron were not mixed in the mainboard of Z640. The 1st case is 2x Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P-L Low Loaded Module (M303A4K40B0BB0-CPB) and the 2nd case is 4x Micron 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-R ECC Reg RAM (36ASF4G72PZ-2G3B1). 

I think that the available BIOS of Z640 maybe has a bug to match the rotating speed of two rear fans when 32GB modules are installed on the mainboard and result in the higher rotating speed of 2200 RPM. But the BIOS of Z840 workstation has no problem to match 32GB DDR4 modules.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.