Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (2,191 Views)

ZR24w reacts, but remains black

[ Edited ]

Hi there !

I bought the HP ZR24w ~3 weeks ago and was really happy with it - it's a great screen - until now. I'm using the DVI-connector with a 8800GTX. I've been away from the PC for around 2 hours and left the screen & PC turned on. When I came back, there was a black screen, the backlight was there and the tiny power LED in the bottom right corner was blue. The PC obviously worked, sound was there, I could use mouse, keyboard etc..

Interesting thing was that every time the screen should react, it showed the blue LED and the backlight: I connected a 19" screen to my PC for troubleshooting purposes. As I selected the 19" as primary device, the ZR24w was in Standby (or similar) with the orange LED. As soon as I selected it as a secondary or even primary device, the LED turned blue and the backlight turned on and stayed on.

So... What is it?

I already tried a few things (any devices disconnected from the computer, just mouse & keyboard, power supply and DVI-connector):

1. Turned Monitor & PC off & on again. Result: Exactly the same behaviour.

2. Tried to connect the ZR24w to my Laptop with VGA cable. Result: Exactly the same behaviour.

3. Connected my PC with "old" 19" screen. Result: Works perfectly, everything is displayed.

4. Reinstalled/Updated graphics driver (Uninstall - Restart PC - Install new driver - Restart) and installed HP monitor driver. Result: No change, ZR24w still causes trouble.

Any ideas or should I send it straight to HP support ?

Thanks.

Greetz,

~

(Hope my english is okay.)

0 Kudos
Honor Student
Message 2 of 5 (2,107 Views)

Re: ZR24w reacts, but remains black

I am having nearly exactly the same problem.  If I power on/off the monitor I will see the desktop for a split second and then the screen goes black.   This happens on both a Window 7 desktop and a MacBook Pro laptop.  It's like it's getting the signal but not displaying it.  The laptop thinks the monitor is working fine (it reacts different if you unplug the cable).  

Honor Student
Message 3 of 5 (2,064 Views)

I did not find a solution for this. I just returned it to (german) Amazon (after using it for 3 weeks) and they refunded me the money. As I really like that monitor, I bought it again. Arrived today and I hope that this one works fine.
Honor Student
Message 4 of 5 (1,984 Views)

Yah, I had to do the same.  Got the new monitor  - crossing my fingers that this one holds up longer than a month.

Honor Student
Message 5 of 5 (1,117 Views)

I have the same problem. New out of the box monitor goes blank after <1 second. The power light stays blue implying that the monitor is getting signal.

Tried connecting to two different computers with VGA or Display Port. Same Problem.

Product shipped 12/20/2011.

Waiting on HP Personnel to respond.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation