Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My hardware is HP xw8600 running opesource offshot of  of Solaris 11 (openindiana)

The machine is setup as 2x Xeon (3.33htz) with 32 GB Ram 

I have 4 sata discs currently connected and want to add two more.  

The way it is currently setup is the power connectors for hdd come down from power unit in a string of 4

all pre shaped to connect to 4 hdd.

I and to add some more of those power cables.  I suspect there is an open connector in a cable strapped wad 

nearer the PU.  I see at least 2 of the old fashioned looking  female connectors that accept a 4 prong male. 

side of the platic is always beveled... and these are as well.

I vaguely remember that one can connect into that 4 pronger that addapts to regular skinny flat sata connectors.

Hopefully someone will  know what I'm talking about and if there are likely to be more connections available.  I don't

to take the cable straps off and make a big mess without hearing from someone that knows this madel of workstation.

I also have questions about the other end sata cables.. the ones that go to the actual sata ports. 

I see my sata ports appear to be color coded.  left to right on the top row of ports:

2 red 3 gray 1 blue  (I'm only using the 3 gray and 1 blue so far)

Then under that is another row of white sata looking ports that I think are SAS

I've included 2 trimmed down images:

img1 shows the HDD  cupboard and the string of 4 sata power connectors and port connectors

img2 shows the sata port arrangement

I hope somecan explain what the color code means  and if I can use the 2 bright red ones that are open to

2 more hdd.

img1.jpg

img2.jpg

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

The following pdf manual explaions and shows the options for using the SATA and SAS connections on the motherboard. 

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/action.process/public/psi/manualsDisplay/?s...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.