Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
anna126 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

adding an OS disk to P6-2316

Pavilion P6-2326s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I need help in recovering the data from the disk....

I had a Pavilion P6-2326s and it suddenly died, i.e. when I powered up, it showed nothing on the screen, not even the HP logo.   The machine is due for an upgrade, but I need the data from the disk, hence I brought a P6-2316 as I could not find a P6-2326s) hoping that I could some how recover the data from the P6-2326s disk, but I had not been successful.

When I replaced the P6-2316 OS disk with the P6-2326 OS disk, it came up and began to repair the disk (I assumed it was because they have different hardware configuration). Therefore I powered down the machine, put back to P6- 2316 disk to the P6-2316 PC, but daisy chain the p6-2326 OS disk to the P6-2316 OS disk, hoping that it could see it as a second disk and I could access the data, however, when the machine came up, it again began to repair the disk (I assumed it tried to repair the P6-2326 disk, hence I shut it down)...

Question

How can I attach the P6-2326 disk to the P5-2316 machine as a second disk without having the system to repair the disk?

I am sorry, I am more of a unix person, the windows OS is a new concept for me :-(

thanks

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
45999 4359 11101
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

adding an OS disk to P6-2316

You can have both disks physically installed in the case if there is space, otherwise just let the old one temporarily hang down.

Support it  away from the motherboard.  Use something o the order of electrical tape or other material like string that has decent insulating properties.  

Connect the disk from the dead PC to an available SATA port.

Power up the new PC and innvioke the BIOS by tapping the F10 key. In the BIOS make certain that the disk that was delivered with the new PC is the first disk in the boot list. If not, correct it and press F10 to save the change and exit.

Boot into Windows and use the Windows explorer to copy the files you need to the new drive.  

If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation