Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-214
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently upgraded my  audio drivers and I am now seeing a red x next to the speaker icon. As if it was muted. I can still hear sounds through my headset which is plugged in to the front panel jacks . The communication headphones is set as the default playback device.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this works...

Go to the device manager and click to expand the Sound, video and game controllers device category.

1. Click on the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC in Device Manager.

2. Click on the Driver tab.

3. Click on Update Driver... button.

4. Select  -> Browse my computer for driver software.

5. Select -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

6. Select  High Definition Audio Device (Not  IDT High Def...  this is important.) and click Next.

Warning message appears, but reply Yes.

7. Windows has successfully updated your driver software.

8.  Reboot the PC

Key is step 6

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi

Try this version of the drivers and see if that helps

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71717.exe

Hope this helps.

***** Click the Thumbs UP (Like) on the Right to say 'Thanks'*****

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Thumbs up "if it solves your problem.****

-VJ

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

HP Recommended

This didn't help. I enabled an additional device (digital output) and the red x disappeared. However, so did the sounds. So.. I can get rid of the red x and go without sound or see the red x and have sound. Seeing the red x drives me crazy but I do need the sound.

HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this works...

Go to the device manager and click to expand the Sound, video and game controllers device category.

1. Click on the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC in Device Manager.

2. Click on the Driver tab.

3. Click on Update Driver... button.

4. Select  -> Browse my computer for driver software.

5. Select -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

6. Select  High Definition Audio Device (Not  IDT High Def...  this is important.) and click Next.

Warning message appears, but reply Yes.

7. Windows has successfully updated your driver software.

8.  Reboot the PC

Key is step 6

HP Recommended

Thank you very much. That seemed to do the trick. No red X and sound works. Feeling very very good 🙂

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.