Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavillion hp p7-1054
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i cant seem to get the grasp of the system backup with the different dirves  I no the c drive  and am used to dealing with a c drive but the d drive that is there for god knows that I cant do anything with and is turned off in backup  and what order should all these drives be going through??     I redcently added a 1 tb seagat portable drive but through my recent change over to windows 10 free upgrade  the seagate now only has like 32 gb of space and  the memory  migrated??  i believ its now showing on c ?? totally confusing ... I have recently change cpu to the recomended amd  theron 11 a new power 500 watt and gforce grafic card g610   should i reconfigure the system?? i wouldnt no how really but I never did anything when I switch the cpu and video card and power ??      what is tehe proper bios setup for my sytem

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@bigfish28

Let's get our terms straight so that we're both talking about the same things.

1) Memory -- this is in stick form and has nothing to do with the disk space.  So, space allocated to drives in no way affects the system memory amount.  Memory does not "migrate".

2) Disk space -- this is the filesystem space on your "drives" and has nothing to do with Memory.

The typical arrangement of "drives" in a PC is that "C" is the OS drive, containing MS Windows, programs, and account profiles.  The "D" drive is typically the Recovery drive, containing a compressed Windows OEM image, some drivers, and HP apps.

There is also a boot "drive" but that does not have a letter assigned and its size and location on the hard drive depends whether the PC uses BIOS or UEFI for booting.

Whenever you run Windows, the "drive" in which it is running is always assigned the letter "C".  No other drive will use or get assigned that letter because it is reserved for the OS.

When you connect an external drive, it gets assigned a letter automatically, usually the next letter in the alphabet that is not in use.

I really fail to understand why a 1TB external drive should be nearly filled simply because of an Upgrade to Win10.  I have several external drives, also did the Win10 Upgrade, and that in no way affected my external drives.

You should check Device Manager to see that all the hardware devices have drivers.  If your Display Adapter is showing something like Microsoft Basic Adapter, then you need to install the video drivers for the video card.

I can not possibly tell you what the "proper BIOS setting" is for your PC, as I would have to be there examining it to determine that.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.