Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ssvegeta96 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

bios update error

hp pavillion a1730n

windows vista premium 

bios update error = 9996 does not meet minimum requirements

current bios 5.03 11/30/2006

bios trying to install "5.07 2007-10-09 A8M2N-LA "

was hoping this fixes my motherboards inexplicable non responsive pci-e slot which worked for a few weeks with  a slightly newer card than the onboard integrated card and then stoped recognizeing anything i put inther alltogether new or old

even bought 430watt powersupply to maybe alliviate the problem but to no avail

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES
Provost
Provost
28010 1807 5027
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

bios update error

Hi,

The error that you are receiving from the installer program typically indicates that you are running the the wrong operating system.  I see this a lot when someone running Windows 7 attempts to update the bios using a VISTA based bios update program.

The safest way and the HP official way is to install the bios update while you are running VISTA.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 16GB, 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
ssvegeta96 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

bios update error

MEvidently the title of student has led you to believe that my understanding of pc's is mediocre or entry level but it is not I assure you.. with that said.. I am fully aware of what operating system I am running other wise I would not have posted it on my specs part of my question.and I am fully coherent enough to choose from the options given to me at the hp support site from were I downloaded the driver I try to install, ..to choose the right operating system. For me to get the appropriate driver.. {Content Removed}

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1250 77 144
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

bios update error

The link below is for Vista x86 (asusming you already it and it's the correct os).

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software9/COL20754/pv-54579-1/sp35159.exe

Try right-clicking it and run as administrator.

Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update.
Update has been cancelled. (9996)

Error 9996: The installer has a list of supported hardware that this update is suitable for - and your hardware (including your HP model) is not on the list.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
31 2 5
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

bios update error

I have an A6200N that I upgraded to Windows 7 before realizing that the bios upgrade was operating system specific.  So, I hooked up a spare drive, and installed Vista 32 back onto the drive, using a standard OS disk (not the system restore disks).  I did install the HP vista drivers and updated past SP2.  I am still receiving this 9996 error when trying to install the bios upgrade from HP for the A6200N (MCP61PM-HM mb, Nettle2). 

Can you tell me what might be missing from my system that is stopping this upgrade?  Hardware has not changed since the last bios update, which was successful.  Is there some HP software that the upgrade is looking for, like HP support assistant? 

My hopes are to upgrade the bios, then put the Windows 7 hard drive back in.  Windows 7 was running great, but the machine was sometimes blue screening when coming out of S3 suspend, a condition that this bios upgrade is supposed to address.  That's why I want to upgrade. 

Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks, in advance.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation