Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
nshul12 Student
Student
0 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

bios update

hp 8460p elitebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

i want to update the bios on my 8460p elitebook but everytime i run the sp76205.exe file i get the error bios.jpg

the file is from here ----- http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5056901&swItemId=ob_167767_1&swEnvOid=406...

and i don't know how to update from bootable device 

help me 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES
Dean Dean
Dean
7972 634 2846
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

bios update

0 Kudos
Dean Dean
Dean
7972 634 2846
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

bios update

Hi @nshul12

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome !

This appears to be the correct package based on the model but we could check this later...

I'd like to ask you why  you want to update the BIOS ?  

Personally, I do not recommend you do it unless you experience some issues with your existing BIOS and you are sure that the new BIOS will fix it.

General recommendation I provide to users/customers is NOT to upgrade BIOS/UEFI unless they experience any kind of specific BIOS/UEFI issue. Updating just for updaing and just for using the latest verson is not solution. Any kind of update (no matter for what and who relesed it) can fix 2 issues but may introduce 10 more issues. Additionally, upgrading the BIOS (for any vendor) poses more risks because BIOS recovery is not that easy as compared to typical software updates IF something goes wrong.

Same applies for Windows Updates, OS update, drivers updates, etc - upgrade/update IF you have issues which you know are fixed in the newer version or for some severe security issues. Otherwise, keep the existing version as long as possible.

**** Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or show appreciation
**** Mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helps **** Thanks !

I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** I work in IT and cyber security
0 Kudos
nshul12 Student
Student
0 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

bios update

i have the bios version F.20 and when ever i put it on sleep and wake it doesn't show the brightness control and the brightness keys too won't work, might this won't solve the problem and i can try to live with it but F.22  Provides support for the SATA 3.0 SSD hard drive and i would like to get the most of my ssd [--please do mock me if i'm wrong Smiley Happy --]

and i've also got a couple of blue screens Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Dean Dean
Dean
7972 634 2846
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

bios update

Hello, 

The Blue screens (BSOD) are not related to the BIOS and updating the BIOS won't fix them - this is related to driver (software)  or  hardware issues with the computer.

Could you restart your computer. As soon as it appears to start loading, keep hitting Esc button (like tap-tap-tap). Once HP menu appears, enter the BIOS. Please, load the existing BIOS to see if it says UEFI or BIOS?

Could you also try the update method described here >> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Need-Help-Updating-Bios-dc7800-C...

**** Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or show appreciation
**** Mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helps **** Thanks !

I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** I work in IT and cyber security
0 Kudos
_Ari_ Tutor
Tutor
6 0 5
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

bios update

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation