cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
USMCJock Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

blow away hard disk / saved all important data but wanna blow away the hdd and protect it

pavilion m7100y
Microsoft Windows Vista

I just got a new HP Envy. Don't need my pavilion anymore.

Moved all of my data over to large storage space today.

Want to blow away my HDD just to protect integrity of it, before trashing computer.

Don't have disks.  What's the fastest and easiest way to do it?

Help quick. Need the desk space. Spending too much time trying to figure this out.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
16078 16022 1490 3562
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

blow away hard disk / saved all important data but wanna blow away the hdd and protect it

USMCJock

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

As you probably know, erasing the contents of a drive really does not remove the data, instead, it just clears the partition boot record so that Windows doesn't see the files and folders anymore.

If you want to ensure that none of the data on the drive is accessible anymore, there are two ways to do this, one keeps the drive physically intact so it can be reused, the other trashes the drive.

In terms of the first, you need to download the Minitool Partition Wizard boot CD file, burn that to a CD (you can do that using a free program known as ImgBurn), boot from that CD.  Then, when the app appears, select the option to Wipe the partition.  This will overwrite all the data, making it impossible to recover -- but this can take hours or days, depending on the method you choose and the size of the drive.

In terms of the second, remove the drive from the PC, put it down on a hard surface -- and take a sledge hammer to it!!  That will physically destroy the drive and the platters -- making it impossible to use after that.

Your drive, your choice (I generally do the Second).

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
USMCJock Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Dean for replying.

Don't you just hate it when you finally give up on something, find a forum, write a Post and then....find the answer yourself?

On the Post screen after bootup, on my particular Pavilion (m7100y) in the corner there is a <F10> for Recovery option.

I didn't even see that.  My fault. I managed to get into Recovery Manager and format the hard drive 2x.   You know us military guys....one to kill, one to make sure.  😉

Happy New Year to you man!

Semper Fi

USMCJock

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation