Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-590
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I got acritical error blue box stating  a start menu problem which resolved when I did a system restore. I uninstalled my Kaspersky anti virus sftware at the time I did the restore. All day yesterday 5/24 the PC was working fine. Reinstalled the Kaspersky for which I have a subscription. I rebooted and the PC crashedall together. All I get is a light blue screen and nothing works. Please help? This PC is only 2 years old. Thank-you, Eileen

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

emvelez

Although it appears Kaspersky is causing the problem this may not be true.

How long have you had Kaspersky on your PC? It has worked fine until recently. Have you installed any programs lately that may be causing a conflict? Are you running more than one Anti-Virus/malware program?

Have you tried tapping "ESC" at boot to see if you can get to the UEFI Startup Menu? If you can then run hardware diagnostics.

You may have a HDD or Memory problem or some other hardware problem.

Only run the PC with mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Disconnect all other devices.

If you are not able to use the keyboard (try connecting the keyboard to a different USB port) then you will have to have a local tech check or use HP's warranty if you are in warranty. You can't troubleshoot the PC if it is unresponsive.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for your reply. I had to do a total re boot. I have not re installed the Kaspersky. Now my HP 7640 Printer will not print. The software is installed and it works fine with my laptop and from the printer itself. It was working just fine on the PC earlier today and suddenly it is unrecognized by the PC. Can you help? Thank-you very much, Eileen

HP Recommended

Hi Eileen

I really think you have a hardware problem.

Please run boot time HP hardware diagnostics suggested in the previous post.

When you have various operating system anomalies it is time to check hardware.

You may also try running a check disk operation. This will find possible system file corruption.

We could be chasing problems from one issue to another but never find the cause.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hi I did do a disk  check. No impact on the printer which keeps showing up as a FAX document format when I click on Print. . I am doing another complete recovery to see if that helps. Thank you! Eileen

HP Recommended

Hi Eileen

You are welcome.

Okay, you are setting the PC to factory specs.

Try to run the PC as clean as possible. Only install programs you need.

Take your time. Check system stability as you go.

Don't forget to run HP boot time hardware diagnostics. The same symptoms on a clean install means you have some type of hardware problem.

Good luck!!

Grzy

HP Recommended

Thank-you! I re booted totally all over again and so far now issues except that I can't get the printer to work wirelessly which is fine because I have the USB cable. I am afraid to tinker with it too much. Eileen

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.