cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
steliosthebig
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

can i migrate windows????

pavilion 500-160 ev
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

hello,

i bought a new ssd and i want my windows on it. Can i transfer my windows from hdd to ssd somehow?? or have to format my pc?? if so, where can i find my windows product key? and what should i backup before the format??

thanks in advance. 🙂

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Level 19
Level 19
79,792 79,688 9,872 21,317
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

Firstly: The key is in the BIOS of your machine, please use the following tool to get it:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

When run this tool, it produces a report, scroll down to Software Management section. Windows 8 or 8.1 product key is in there.

Secondly: the saftest way is to clone your existing HDD to new SSD, this will keep everything including programs and your files/data. SSD vendors normally give cloning software for you otherwise you can try the following free software:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-cloning-software.htm

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-free-and-reliable-cloning-tools/

Thirdly: If you wish to format the HDD, back up all. Who knows you may need something one day.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Level 15
13,019 12,963 1,698 3,935
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi there

I do regular back up with Macrium Reflect free software, which has not given any problem till now. You can also copy, paste the files you need separately on to an external HDD for additional safety.

I had done my migration with Samsung own Migration tool for my Samsung 840 Evo SSD. Macrium reflect, AOMEI are other free cloning utilities available for download.

You do not have to know the product key. On Windows clean install or Recovery media install, it'll be automatically activated.

If you want to do a Clean install & your machine came with Windows 8/8.1 pre installed/you bought Windows 8/8.1 retail OS, follow option 1 in this tutorial:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/18309-windows-8-windows-8-1-iso-download-create.html

You do not have to format HDD. You can clone the OS to SSD and keep the HDD safely or use it for data storage.

Regards

Visruth
steliosthebig
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

hi again,

i have done succesfully the clone , i appreciate your help but if is possible i have one more question:
Can i format C drive after the clone?

Thanks In advance,

yours faithfully ,

Stelios

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
79,792 79,688 9,872 21,317
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@steliosthebig wrote:

...... Can i format C drive after the clone?

Hi,

Do you need to do this in a hurry ? I would keep it until no problem at the end.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
steliosthebig
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

ok! i will keep it. thanks again 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation