cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jtdaniels55
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

cant disable secure boot on hp 19-2110t

hp 19-2110t
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Greetings..   i have 25 or so hp 19-2110t machines and i'm having to install Windows 8.1 with the traditional BIOS..  and i cant seem to figure out how to disable the Secure Boot..   i've been in the BIOS, and followed the directions available..  select Secure Boot -> disable; reboot, enter the 4-digit code..  back in the BIOS screens say "disable" but moving to the Boot Menu, i try to enable Legacy BIOS, error message pops up saying i have to disable secure boot.  all indications are that i have, but i still get the error.  3 of the 25+ machines all react the same so it must be something i'm missing.  i'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts..  ?        thanks..   sorry if i put this post  in the wrong category..

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,808 5,036
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You want to end up with legacy disabled and secure boot disabled then save the change.

You might try installing the latest BIOS update for your AIO. 

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
jtdaniels55
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

All available updates have been applied..  Dont understand..  Why do i want legacy disabled?  Thats what i want to boot with..    I've done every possible combination of disabling and enabling things in the BIOS, then powering off..  etc..   i always get back to the BIOS and try to enable the legacy settings and the machine telling me i have to disable secure boot.  It's like it's not taking the change to secure boot, altho i'm getting the confirmation to enter the 4-digit code so i know it sees it somehow.  With UEFI devices disabled, and legacy disabled, i get the expected "can't find boot device" error..  no way to enable the legacy devices..  it's still acting like secure boot is enabled, but the BIOS screen indicates it's disabled..  Seems odd..  Thanks for your reply, anything else you think i could try ..?   

0 Kudos
Level 15
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Unless the BIOS has a robost compatiblity support module (CSM) and the operating system was installed in such a fashion to allow both UEFI and legacy booting, then your PC is not going to boot up if you enable legacy mode.

HP Photosmart 6520
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
jtdaniels55
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, Big Dave..  for your replies..   I have wiped the disk of all partitions, and created a new MBR-type partition.  This is what we have decided to do..  And install Windows 8.1.   Well, as i suspected, this wont work, as when i boot to the Win 8.1 disc, it's in the EUFI mode, and Windows won't install unless i have a GPT partitioned disk. this is not what we want..  as i remember in order to install in need to have booted in the legacy mode..       is there any way i can enable the legacy boot devices so i can install Windows 8.1 with MBR?  So im back to the issue that the AIO wont allow me to enable the legacy boot devices, for the reasons i cite above.  It appears to be locked in the Secure Boot mode and dispite my attempts to change it, i am unable to disable EUFI and enable legacy.  do you have any other thoughts.. ?   thanks..

0 Kudos
Level 15
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Are you using a Windows 8.1 retail disk from Microsoft?  If not, please explain.

After you insert the W8.1 disk then power off. Now power up, tap the ESC key and select Boot Device options.  Look under the legacy devices.  Do you see the CD/DVD drive? If yes, then use the arrow keys to select it and then hit enter.

HP Photosmart 6520
0 Kudos
jtdaniels55
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks BD..   I am using an ISO my boss downloaded from a third-party website..  (a legit one)..  i have a key so i'm legally entitled..  I'm not tring to cheat anyone.. :))    I do exactly as you state..  insert the 8.1 disc..  press esc, then F9 to get the boot menu..  The CDROM is listed, but it's listed under UEFI - bootable devices.  

There is a legacy tab there, but there are no devices listed under that option because they are disabled in the BIOS because i cant enable them because the system thinks Secure Boot is still enabled.  Booting by selecting the CDROM as it's listed, under UEFI,  gets me going up until the point where it's ready to start the install, but then predictably it tells me it cant install to the existing partition because it's looking for a GPT - formatted disk..   And this disk is MBR..  I get all that..

The issue here seems to be that i am unable to disable Secure Boot.  I understand all the failure modes i'm seeing; they are all consistent.  The only issue is that Secure Boot will not let go.   I've worked on HP machines a lot; but never an AIO..  I have always been able to disable the UEFI in the BIOS and get set up for Legacy devices... If i remember correctly, (and i might be wrong) the older 8100-8200 machines, when displaying the Boot menu, would list both UEFI and Legacy options for all bootable devices, and i had to select the CDROM from the correct category..  i would disable UEFI in the BIOS and i'd get only the appropriate options on this Boot menu.    This is the first time i've come up against Secure Boot.  

I've researched on the Net quite a bit, and i feel like i'm doing everything according to the directions for disabling Secure Boot.  It's not a complicated procedure..  I'm presuming that when the screen reads, "Disable"  it really means that Secure Boot is DISABLED, right?   No matter i guess, as i've done it both ways and it's always failed the same way..

I'm stuck..  All the machines are doing the same thing..  All BIOS updates have been applied to my test box..  thanks for the help..   : )

0 Kudos
Level 15
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Perhaps the BIOS is stubborn.  Try setting the BIOS back to the defaults then save. Now reboot and see if the CD device shows up under legacy.  If not, then try clearing the CMOS.

HP Photosmart 6520
0 Kudos
jtdaniels55
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi..  

Resetting the BIOS back to defaults was one of the first things i tried after updating it.  It did clear out some other issues, but not the Seccure Boot topic here.  

I can see a stubborn BIOS on one or maybe two machines..  But on all 19 we have?  hmmm..

I would have cleared the CMOS too, but i'm unsure how to proceed with this AIO model.. can you point me to a site that will show me how.. been unable to find it on YouTube..  or just tell me how to access the MOBO to clear with a jumper..  ?        thanks..   I'm glad it hasnt been an easy solution for you..  makes me feel a bit better..   : )

0 Kudos
Level 15
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You have to remove the back cover and then the motherboard EMI shield to get at the CMOS jumpers.

Since you have a large quantity of PC which you claim have the same problem, then it's probably best to contact HP Support.

HP's support number is 800-474-6836 or 800-HPINVENT or online here.

HP Photosmart 6520
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation