cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
geercom
Level 2
20 12 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

compatible blank DVDs

HP Recommended
HP Envy

What high storage capacity blank DVDs that are re-writable are compatible with the hp DVD A DH16AFSH DVD RW in my HP Envy PC Model # 700-406, Product # J4W42AA#ABA ? I need to copy / backup between a few hundred to several hundred Gigs of files and folders over for a secondary backup in addition to my external hdd.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,535 1,810 5,050
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Media compatibility is generally an optical drive firmware function.  If you are going to copy several hundreds Gigs of files then it's going to take a looooooooog time and lots of media disks.  If you had say 800 Gigs of files going to a standard 4.7 GB optical media then do the math.  You might need close to 160 optical disks.

You can use Imgburn to determine the optical drive's capabilities for media types. 

I have an internal HP optical drive (not the same as yours) and I have used the below listed optical media with a high rate of success.

Verbatim 8x DVD+RW rewritable 4.7 GB

Verbatim 2x DVD+RW rewritable 4.7 GB

Verbatim 2X BD-RE rewritable 25 GB

If your drive can handle BD-RE XL then each disk would hold 100 GB but at $60 for 5 disks you might want to consider something else for archival purposes.

I would suggest going with another external HD for archival files as optical media and drives for that matter are on the way out.

Thanks for posting on the forum.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation