Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
vanessa_6065 Tutor
Tutor
18 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

computer screen turns black after latest windows update

HP Envy 20-d034
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, So 2 nights ago my computer updated the new Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems.  It's working ok when in use, but after my computer goes on a screen saver mode and I return to it, a black screen comes on with nothing except for the cursor.  I can't do anything so I have to manually shut it down (today I've done this 3 times already) and once it comes back up, it takes longer to take me to the log in screen and then log in.

I'm frustrated and mad that this new update is affecting the performance in my computer. 
Please help asap
Thanks in advance
Marjorie

7 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
8978 1183 3094
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

While this will have little solace to your immediate issue, I strongly suggest you edit the screen saver to NONE.  Then edit the Power settings: Don't let it turn off the screen or go to sleep.  Do this for 48 hours, then report back. 

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

Loaner: Envy Omen Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 7th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070M 8GB Discrete Graphics (16GB RAM) 512GB m.2 SSD
HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme8GB, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ
0 Kudos
vanessa_6065 Tutor
Tutor
18 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I already done this, but I do not want to leave like this forever.  I need to change my screen saver settings and power settings to save energy when I'm away from the computer for a few minutes

Thanks

Marjorie

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
8978 1183 3094
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My original goal was to prove stability.  If the unit did not glitch in 48 hours, it has to be one of the settings. It was my intention to eliminate the problem(s).  Now, add back only one item.  Wait 24 hours.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

Loaner: Envy Omen Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 7th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070M 8GB Discrete Graphics (16GB RAM) 512GB m.2 SSD
HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme8GB, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ
0 Kudos
vanessa_6065 Tutor
Tutor
18 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Done!

Now, I also noticed that ever since, my computer has been very slow. 

Please help!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
8978 1183 3094
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A slowdown in performance can be related to added tasks, added start-up programs, and what you perceive.  Download the free Malwarebytes and run it.    Clear your browser files, except passwords.  In Edge, it's the "..." tab, the settings.

Because your system is likely an I3-2130 (slow CPU), just adding more motherboard RAM will give you a slight increase in performance.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
0 Kudos
vanessa_6065 Tutor
Tutor
18 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just did that now... Is there anything else I can do to remove any uwanted files/things in my computer?

Also, what should I do about the black screen after been idle for some time?  This all happened after the computer updated the new Microsoft version

thanks

marjorie

0 Kudos
vanessa_6065 Tutor
Tutor
18 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, my problem is not solved yet.  Is there any way I can revert back to the previous windows version.  Ever since this new update, my computer has been very slow and I'm having the black screen problem.

thanks

marjorie

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation