cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
captofdt1 Top Student
Top Student
9 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

config error at recovery

m8100n vista 32 ibt OS

System crash- black screen flashing cursor

F10 system basic check, memory and HD all good.

Upon recovery -config error  code purple.

What does that mean???

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Provost Provost
Provost
41,441 38,140 3,337 13,996
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

config error at recovery

Usually it means a mis-match between Recovery and the info it is looking for in your BIOS:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01522228

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

Teacher
Teacher
72 70 3 11
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

config error at recovery

Code Purple is a configuration error in the BIOS. as long as there has been no upgrades to the system, the pc is usually shipped back to the service center then reconfigured and sent back out. you shouls call 1-800-474-6836 to see if the service will be covered under hp. Code purple issue

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking on my behalf of myself and not on behalf of HP.
**Click on “Kudos” Star if you think this reply helped** .....
captofdt1 Top Student
Top Student
9 3 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

config error at recovery

Thanks,

HP stepped up - my computer is as good as new. Had to ship out, but it was a no functional paperweight.

HP shipped back - still downloading all the operating updates, but everything works so far.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
28 4 2 25
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

config error at recovery

When this happens out of warranty, HP will not "step up."  But we don't them.  Read this for next time...

Code Purple is a problem exclusive to HP's, the easiest solution is to avoid them. However, it's already too late for you as it was for me. Basically it's an attempt to force you to pay them to service or upgrade your PC, or if you didn't learn the first time, buy another. Here is the most concise answer I found, tried to translate into plain english.

***PLAIN ENGLISH QUICK AND EASY FIX FOR ALL SYSTEMS****
***Windows 7 code purple or Windows Vista code purple***

With the code purple error on the screen, press shift+f10 (the shift key and the F10 key (at the top of the keyboard) at the same time) to open a little screen called a command prompt. (So, you get a little black screen with white text that says something about your Windows verison first and a little ways down you'll see "C:\>". It's all ready for you to start typing.)
Type the following line, just as you see it here...

notepad C:\hp\bin\checkdmi\checkdmi.cmd

so it will look like this

C:\>notepad C:\hp\bin\checkdmi\checkdmi.cmd

Press Enter.
You will see the text for the file listed in a window using a simple text editor.
Go to the beginning of the text. Press enter to make a space. Type this...

goto cleanup

So, whatever comes after, the first line looks like this...

goto cleanup

Save the file and exit notepad and restart your PC. You are good to go.

Please repost like crazy.

darrylps Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

config error at recovery

Exaclty what I needed. Thanks.

0 Kudos
NCSTECH Honor Student
Honor Student
1 1 0 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

config error at recovery

This also worked for me.  I had a client come in with a blown motherboard.  I ordered a brand new one and installed it then was able to back the system up for the client and run a restore.  After the restore the system restarted when to a screen where it said "setup is preparing computer for first use" then a popup came up with code purple error.  Trusting it as a good board I did a google search and found this article.  Folled instructions and it finished the restore and went all the way to the desktop.  THANK YOU!

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation