Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Note: I posted this on the consumer/home forums and a user there recommended reposting it in the business PC section instead, so here goes:

--------------

Hi,

I've got a dc7800 Small Form Factor system. It was working fine but after a reboot it won't start up normally anymore. The black POST screen appears, RAM testing starts to count up and then I see and error about "system options not set". After less than a second, a blue window in the middle of the screen displays the message "smart card authentication" and below that, "smart card reader not present".

From a bit of reading it seems like a BIOS problem but I can't figure out how to really reset the CMOS and get things working again. I've tried holding down the CMOS reset button with everything disconnected, removing the password reset jumper and booting the system, removing the power cord and CMOS battery for 10 minutes, and have tried putting a BIOS .bin file on a FAT32 USB key in an attempt to use the BIOS recovery option, none of which has worked.

Is there a way to do one of the following:

- force the CMOS defaults to reset and remove the configuration that requires the smart card authentication?

- force a BIOS recovery, with a key combination or by using a different jumper or jumpers on the motherboard?

I see various other jumpers and pads on the motherboard like "ROM RCVRY" and the E15 Boot Block Recovery Header but scant information about how these might be used to solve the problem.

It seems to me that the hardware is fine as it powers up and displays the POST screen. It's like a BIOS setting has been reset to require a smart card, even though there isn't one, nor even a smart card reader, in the system.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

JS

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello there, please reset the bios on your system, on reboot press f10 to go to the bios, go to apply defaults press f10 to save changes, very important, and then select restart and save changes , should work, let me know if this work.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the scame problem

I tried to

remove HDD and CD

re-install and replace memory

remove and replace battary

Clear CMOS using the yellow button

the screen freezing as the attached image

and all kb buttons give beeb except F9 and F10 no beeb and no action too

IMG_0467.JPG

HP Recommended

I have the same problem
the screen freezing as the attached image

how can solve the problem ...

IMG_20151005_233011.jpg

HP Recommended

i've got the same problem, anyone resolve this problem?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the scame problem

I tried to

remove HDD and CD

re-install and replace memory

remove and replace battary

Clear CMOS using the yellow button

But still its appearing the message "Smart card reader not present"

Please help me to solve this problem..

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.