cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

disk defragment won't complete

HP Recommended

My disk defrag HP utility runs every 20th of the month and never finishes even after 2 days.  It typically gets hung up around 20% defragged. I have Windows 7.   Not sure how to resolve.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,901 16,787
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

If the defrag utility you mention is the one included in HP Support Assistant, try the following.

First of all, uninstall your current version of HP Support Assistant by opening windows Control Panel, open Programs and Features, right click the entry for HP Support Assistant and select Uninstall.  When this process has completed, restart the PC.

Next download and install the latest version of HP Support Assistant from the page on the link below - the download links are towards the bottom of the page.

http://h18021.www1.hp.com/helpandsupport/hp-support-assistant.html

After the installation, restart the PC again.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I uninstalled and then reinstalled HP Support Assistant following your instructions.  Everything went smoothly. I ran a Tune Up on the newly installed version and tha was fine.  What I noticed is that the Tune Up does no include disk defrag.  It set a restore point, cleared IE Temp files and Temp folders, analyzed the computer for hardware and software issues and prepared the action list.  

So my assumption is to run the disk defrag via Windows?

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,901 16,787
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

In actual fact, Windows 7 does a pretty good job of defragging your files automatically in the background, so there is no real need to start the process manually.

However, if you would like a seperate defrag utility with a good user interface, the free application from Auslogics is a good choice and can be downloaded from the following link.

http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10567503.html?part=dl-6267754&subj=dl&tag...

NOTE:  When you first run this utility, make sure that only the C Partition on your Hard Drive is selected in this application - none of the other partitions should be defragged.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I followed your instructions and they did not work.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation