Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z400
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

ok so i have an HP Z400 workstation with a xeon W3565 cpu and 16 gigs ram i cant seem to find any info on the web as to whether or not my mobo supports sli heres the info i got from SPECCY

Motherboard
Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Model 0B4Ch (CPU0 PROCESSOR)
Version D
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model X58
Chipset Revision 13
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801JR (ICH10R)
Southbridge Revision 00
System Temperature 68 °C
BIOS
Brand Hewlett-Packard
Version 786G3 v03.57
Date 7/15/2013
PCI Data
Slot PCI-E Gen 2 x8
Slot Type PCI-E Gen 2 x8
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x4
Slot Designation SLOT 1
Characteristics 3.3V, PME, SMBus
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI-E Gen 2
Slot Type PCI-E Gen 2
Slot Usage In Use
Data lanes x16
Slot Designation SLOT 2
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI-E x8
Slot Type PCI-E x8
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x4
Slot Designation SLOT 3
Slot Number 2
Slot PCI-E Gen 2
Slot Type PCI-E Gen 2
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x16
Slot Designation SLOT 4
Slot Number 3
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation SLOT 5
Characteristics 5V, 3.3V, PME, SMBus
Slot Number 4
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation SLOT 6
Characteristics 5V, 3.3V, PME, SMBus
Slot Number 5

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Yes.

It is SLI capable.  

Read the following review of a presentation that HP did by Slashgear in 2009.

https://www.slashgear.com/hp-z-workstation-series-slashgear-exclusive-launch-coverage-3039345/

Z series.jpg

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

Yes.

It is SLI capable.  

https://www.slashgear.com/hp-z-workstation-series-slashgear-exclusive-launch-coverage-3039345/ 

To be specific:

SLI for Quadro cards - yes

SLI for GTX cards - no

HP Recommended

@MtothaJ wrote:

@erico wrote:

Yes.

It is SLI capable.  

To be specific:

SLI for GTX cards - no

The original author of this thread can easily read what I posted without your assistance.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

@MtothaJ wrote:

@erico wrote:

Yes.

It is SLI capable.  

To be specific:

SLI for GTX cards - no

The original author of this thread can easily read what I posted without your assistance.

The article you linked mentions nothing about GTX SLI. In fact it is more confusing than helful, since it states that you can SLI Nvidia cards, which is only true with regard to the Qadro and not GTX cards.

HP Recommended

@MtothaJ

I hate to burst your bubble, but you were not the person who asked the question nor the person for whom the information was meant.  

If you have truly useful information with articles and references to post please do so.

Otherwise, what is your point?

Are you a  troll?

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

@MtothaJ

I hate to burst your bubble, but you were not the person who asked the question nor the person for whom the information was meant.  

If you have truly useful information with articles and references to post please do so.

Otherwise, what is your point?

Are you a  troll?

It seems you are not too familiar with how a public internet forum works. If you want to post private messages than use the private message functionality of the forum.

Messages such as yours, besides showing an obvious attitude problem, are not particularily helpful, since on the basis of the information you posted, someone might purchase 2x GTX cards and be unable to use them for the intended purpose - hope that is clear enough for you. 

HP Recommended

Aha. You are trolling for reactions to comments you make.  

I am quite familiar with the PM feature and public forums. I just chose not to use it and ask you questions up front.

If you would like to post helpful information, please do so and help us all. Trolling is not helpful.

HP Recommended

An odd subject name for this thread got me curious so i clicked to have a peek... sad to read what seems like a squable.

NVidia created SLI and licenses the feature to motherboard manufacturers. Unfortunately it's rather difficult to find 'real' information on how SLI is licensed. However sparse information exists and it seems it's a per motherboard change for motherboards where gaming cards are used ($5 in 2008). Unfortunately i've not found any information on licensing for SLI on motherboards where workstation card are used. The nearest i've found related to NVidia Quadro SLI is from NVidia itself and it only indicates mobo/card compatability specifically for Quadro card based workstations.

Not surprisingly, articles on SLI always seem specific to either gaming (GeForce) or workstation (Quadro) cards. I have never read an article that discussed Quadro and gaming card SLI interchangably on the same motherboard. That being the case, one can therefore not assume that where Quadro SLI works on a HP workstation, gaming card SLI will also work on that same worksation (as we simply don't know how it's licensed).

And thus @erico posting a link to a review that only mentions workstation based cards (and x58 chipset) does not fully answer the OP's question as the OP has not really indicated what graphics card they inetnd to use (gaming or workstation).

As such @MtothaJ comment is useful as it raises the issue for discussion. Pity erico resorting to defending his post and calling 'troll'. 

I think a discussion on SLI motherboard capability verses gaming and worksation cards and drivers as related to license restrictions (if any) is the way forward... name calling is not... 🙂

Pity NVidia emplyees with some real knowledge on the issue don't lerk here 😞

[edited to add]

As a final note, my Z210 has no issue with two quadro cards installed (Q200 & Q600) but the NVidia control panel shows SLI as disabled for both cards and there are not other SLI options i can set. Obvioulsy i'm using Quadro drivers.

Does this mean my mobo is not SLI capable or one or both grahics cards are not SLI capable (rhetorical) ? :Wink:

HP Recommended

I have done a bit more research and I will have to discount the SlashDot review and agree that it is misleading.

NVIDIA does have a list of HP PCs that are SLI capable.  They are, as another member stated, only SLI-certified with Quadro video cards. The older Z400 workstation and the more recent Z210 are not on the list.  The current HP Z440 workstation is rated SLI Certified by NVIDIA.  See the following current NVIDIA web document.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/sli-certified-systems-and-motherboards.html

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.