cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
thebadbane
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

downgrade to windows 7

HP Recommended
hp slimline desktop
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Can I still downgrade  windows 8 pc to windows 7 or do I need to get a new license for 7 my warranty is out?

2 REPLIES 2
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
94,961 88,217 12,302 26,147
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I think you need to talk with Microsoft because "OEM downgrade rights apply to only Windows 8 Pro and allow for downgrades for up to two earlier versions (to Windows 7 Professional and to Windows Vista Business). "

More information:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2832566/how-to-downgrade-from-windows-8

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 9,369 577 1,703
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In addition, you may have "missing" device-drivers under Windows 7.

HP shipped the computer with Windows 8, and might not have created device-drivers for Windows 7.

Please tell us why you want to downgrade.  With those details, we can try to provide "better" help.

Note that Microsoft will not support Windows 7 after January 2020 -- not too far away.

At that time, you will need to re-install Windows 8 (or buy a license for Windows 10) to safely use your computer on the Internet.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation