Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 5 (511 Views)

dvd/cd player/burner not working. does not recognize any discs

I have an HP Pavillion P 6000 which is about 3 years old.  The dvd/cd player/burner is not working.  It does not seem to load the discs.  When I open the drivers it says that the device is working properly.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 5 (503 Views)

Re: dvd/cd player/burner not working. does not recognize any discs

Hi,

First, try the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

Windows 7

Check if the drive is now working.

If it still doesn't work, click the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter. 

Next, click the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ).  Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it now works.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Tutor
Message 3 of 5 (498 Views)

Hi,

Thank you so much for your time andknowledge.  I followed all your instructions.  Unfortunately, there is no change, but I do appreciate the effort.

Sandy

Provost
Message 4 of 5 (482 Views)

Hi Sandy,

You're welcome Smiley Happy

The following procedure will test if your PC can start from a bootable disc in the CD/DVD drive - the advantage of trying this is that it will rule out any possible Windows driver error as the CD/DVD drive is under the control of the Bios when starting the PC.  So if you find that the PC will not boot from the CD or DVD, then it's almost certainly a Hardware fault in the optical drive itself and it will need to be replaced.  The following assumes you're using Windows 7.

Using another PC, create a Windows 7 Rescue CD and DVD.  Download the relevant ISO from the link below.

Windows 7 32bit

Windows 7 64bit

You need use an application such as ImgBurn to correctly burn the ISO to a CD and then also burn it to a DVD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  Once created, shut down the PC, tap away at the esc key as soon as you press the power button to access the Start-up menu, insert the CD, select Boot Options ( f9 ), use the arrow keys to highlight the optical drive and hit enter - if you get a prompt to 'Press any key to continue', do so and see if it boots from this disc - if it does, let the first screen come up ( this will show repair options etc ) then just remove the CD and repeat the procedure with the DVD to see if it will also boot from this disc. 

If the PC will not boot from the CD, it may well just load straight into Windows, in which case, just try booting from the DVD.

If you can't boot from either disc, then it would look like the optical drive will need to be replaced.

Let me know.

Best regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Tutor
Message 5 of 5 (477 Views)

thank you again.  Unfortunately, I do not have another PC.  I do have Windows 7.  The only other computing devices I have access  to are my husband's android phone and IPAD.  Neither of these, of course, can burn a disc. 

Sandy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation