Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp envy 27-p014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

ever since i purchased this desktop a year ago, i have had issues with it wifi losing connection. sometimes it drops while online, other times when i first turn on computer or wake it from sleep mode it is not connected.

sometimes i can just click for it to connect and it will , other times i have to restart to get a connection again.

it has always been updated and protected with anti virus. have always been told it is a router problem (from spectrum cable company) but all other devices connect and hold a connection with no issues.

taking advice from hp support board , i have ......

reset the TCP/IP stack, flushed the DNS and check power management settings

none of these have resolved the issue.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @southtexaschad,

Good Day.  Thank you for stopping by the HP forums. I understand that you are facing wifi connectivity issues with the computer.I will be really glad to assist you here. Smiley Happy

Great description and splendid diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. Smiley Happy You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you with it. I take it as a privilege to share this.

For better clarity, I would require more information regarding this to assist you?

•  Did you uninstall and reinstall the wifi drivers or update it from device manager?
  • Did you update the bios also?
  • Please provide the complete model# of the computer to assist you better

For a start please try these steps.

• First, change the router broadcasting from 5Ghz to 2.4 Ghz and check again.
  • Then power cycle the router by disconnecting the power cord from the router for 3 minutes and reconnecting it. (don’t disconnect the power cord from the wall outlet.)
    Continue trying these steps if the issue is not fixed.
    Download the Network Troubleshooter App
  •  Before proceeding with these steps, create a Restore Point.
  • - Open Control Panel, change view to Small Icons, then select "Recovery".
    - After creating a Restore Point, open Device Manager.
    - Open the "Network Adapter" list, and find the WiFi adapter.
    - Right Click the driver, and select "Disable“ and “Re-Enable”
    Then check if the issue is fixed. If not proceed with these steps mentioned below.
    Run: Devmgmt.MSC
  • 2. Look for the Wireless Network Adapter on the list.
  • 3. Once found, Right Click, select Properties.
  • 4. Go to Power Management tab.
  • 5. Uncheck : "Turn off this device to save power".
  • 6. Click APPLY and OK.
  • Then check again. If it works.

If the issue persists: continue with these steps:

1. Open CMD with Administrator (right click on start and Click on Command Prompt(admin) to do this)

2. Type : 

sc config storsvc type= own 

( this resets this service to its default state )

3. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists please try these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> Display adapters>then select the display drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the graphics drivers.
  • Please check the box that says “delete the software for this device”.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios, chipset and wifi drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers Then follow the on-screen instructions. i

Please check this link by clicking here out for further assistance and try all the steps patiently to resolve the issue.

Also, try these steps

:

1) Start Menu > Control Panel > Administrative Tools for the Classic View (long list of items) or Start Menu > Control Panel > > Performance and Maintenace > Administrative Tools for Category View (colorful, big icons).

2) Double-click Services.

3) In this window, click the Name column header (where is says “Name”) to sort by the service name.

4) Scroll down to find WLAN AutoConfig service. Stop the service first. Then restart it and make sure that it runs automatically.

5) Make sure that dependency services are also stopped and restarted.

If the issue perisits,for further assistance please try these steps:

- Open CMD as Admin:  Copy the following commands, and press enter after each one.

-

netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

netsh int tcp show global  (Check if All settings have taken effect)

Reboot the system and see if it works.

As a last resort, you could order a USB wireless dongle from staples or Best Buy or online from Amazon or Ebay and connect it to the router to go online. It is very cost effective and economical and does the trick for you.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @southtexaschad,

Please keep me posted about the issue after trying all the steps.  🙂 I am always there to assist you.

Take care and have a blessed weekend. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.