Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 5546
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Bought new Envy printer and it will not print wirelessly from the (almost new) pc running windows 10 (though it will from an apple phone no probs).  It does print a test page wirelessly and works fine with a cable connected.

Have installed, re-installed (and uninstalled where necessary).  Have updated printed sotware, tried installing from CD and internet all to no avail.

At wits end - someone try and stop me putting an axe through something!!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@RikMa

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

As I Understand you are unable to print using the windows 10 desktop, however, it works on a MacOS,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you, although, to provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern: 

Did you install the printer drivers using the HP website? since the installation disc didn't do the trick.

Have you attempted to use a wired network to check if that works before using the wireless setup?

While you reply, here are a few things you should know:

Gather wireless network items, connect to your wireless network, then install the print driver and software.

Step 1: Automatically download the printer software and connect to your wireless network

Go to 123.hp.com/envy5540 , and then follow the on-screen instructions to automatically download the printer software and connect to the wireless network.

If you cannot access the 123.hp.com website, then continue to the next step.

Step 2: Prepare for installation

Before setting up the printer on your wireless network, gather the network name and password and make sure the router, printer, and computer are turned on.

Step 3: Connect to the wireless network

Use the built-in Wireless Setup Wizard to set up your printer on your wireless network.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND DETAILS.

For more details on Using Your Printer with Windows 10: Click here

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is actually a problem on my mum's pc.  I use an imac (at a different location) so, I have not used the envy on the mac.

Tried everything you said - installed from internet as suggested on set-up and it was no-go from the pc - though it immediately printed from my iphone.  Tried the trouble shooter and after trying a first test- print (and asks if it has printed - I answered NO - it then said try another alternative  print (which did work) - when clicking the next step of help it goes no further!  At one stage it then said "you will need to install from the enclosed CD".. Tried this and exactly the same.  The printer was connected to the network fine and so was the pc.

After 4 hours of trying every combination I gave up and handed PC and printer to a far more knowledgeable person than I (about pc's!).

He had exactly the same problems as I did, but has managed to set up to print via the cable, which mum is now using, which seems archaic to me.  He advises that the printer is fine, the pc is fine, but the OS has a problem with using this printer and hopes that Windows 10 will reslove in a later update at some point.

I am really wondering what the matter is or whether I should have selected another make of printer that is compatiuble with windows 10?

HP Recommended

@RikMa

You've done a remarkable job performing the steps suggested earlier, great work 🙂 

And don't worry, as we should be able to fix this up with a few more steps and I'll be with you until we ensure this issue is fixed.

I understand your concern and I would recommend you attempt to use the windows built-in drivers as an alternative to the full feature software that isn't installing,

You wouldn't have to worry about getting another printer, while we can fix this issue by simply following the below steps:

Step 1: Set Windows Update to automatically download driver software

Open the Windows Device Installation Settings and confirm that your computer is set to automatically download driver software.

Step 2: Connect your printer to the computer

Connect your printer to the computer with a USB cable or through your local network so Windows can detect your printer during the print driver installation.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS AND STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks - I will give this a try.

One question - do I have to uninstall the printer first before trying the Windows default route?

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks - I will give this a try.

One question - do I have to uninstall the printer first before trying the Windows default route?

Regards

HP Recommended

@RikMa

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Yes, I would suggest that you uninstall the printer drivers before you initiate this process, although it's not mandatory as such.

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.