Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 2 (1,883 Views)

error code hd 521-2w

Pavilion a1410n failed to start Windows.  Hard drive failed self test and came up with code hd 521-2w. Can I attempt a recovery? I have four discs. One labled recovery tools ( I created it) and three labled system recovery. Can I just do a recovery from the partition? Or,  Is a new hard drive needed? If so,  is there any way to retrieve the data of the failed drive, maybe hook it up as a slave on another pc?

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 2 (1,870 Views)

Re: error code hd 521-2w

Hi,

It owuld look like the Hard Drive is failing and will need o be replaced.

One possible way to try and retrieve your files from a non-booting drive is to follow the process detailed in the link below.  The Ubuntu operating system CD you create can run from the CD alone ( ie it doesn't have to install on the Hard Drive ) and I've often found it to be successful in retrieving data even from a failing Hard Drive.  When you've created the CD, follow the instructions and see if you can back up your existing files. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windo...

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation