cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

error post hard drive installation

HP Recommended
HP pavilion s5000
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I replaced my hard disk as I got an error msg "Unable to detect the OS". Post new HDD installation, I could not boot using the recovery disk from the CD ROM. When I scanned using the HP doctor kit, got the error msg BOI-HD3. Pls help

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 6
215 215 29 69
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Vasudeva!

This error usually means the BIOS cannot detect the hard drive, which is why in this situation I'd suggest few things you can try:

1. Try a different SATA cable and a different SATA port as well since the issue could be related to these components.
2. If you have another PC you can plug the drive in, please do so too because that way we'll make sure if the problem is related to the HDD or somewhere else.

Once you are done let me know how it went and if the hard disk was detected. 🙂

Official WD Representative.
Please, Kudo me and choose as Answer if this post helped you! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, Thanks for the quick reply. I installed a new hard drive (WD hard drive) and the diagnositic test passed the HDD inspection. In addition, since this is a new hard drive, I am trying to boot thru my cd ROM and the system unable to detect the disk. If there's an issue with the SATA cable will if affect the system botting thru the CD ROM ? Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
215 215 29 69
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're welcome! 🙂

I am not sure if I understand your question entirely, but if you change the SATA cable of the HDD with another one then your CD ROM won't be affected - you should be able to boot from there once the boot priorities in BIOS are changed accordingly. I had suggested a new cable because there might be something wrong with the current one you're using and by replacing it we will make sure if this is causing the issue. 🙂

Official WD Representative.
Please, Kudo me and choose as Answer if this post helped you! 🙂

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation