Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
compaq presario sr1810nx

hello all. i have looked high and low for the answer. i have an older 2006 presario sr1810nx. was running XP. it was a little slow but worked "okay". i got this free from my parents to recycle it or whatever.  but one of the problems was the cpu fan runs on very high rpm only with computer totally off. only goes off when unplugged. it can be unplugged for days but as soon as i plug it in the cpu fan goes to like max speed. the fan will return to normal speeds with power on operation and now runs well. i since have installed linux mint and in the process i wiped the drive. totally thought that would fix it but nope. i tried rplacing the cmos and tried settings (or lack there of) in BIOS. im out of ideas except flash a new BIOS but cant find how to do that in linux sooo, any ideas anyone? thanks. p.s. i have also upgraded to athlon 64 x2 3800 and 2 whole GB ram. runs good. except the cpu fan. any help would be appreciated            -Jason

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@jysn

Thank you for joining HP Forums.}

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand the fan runs on a high rpm while the computer is turned off, 

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you, although, to provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern: 

Are you sure it's turned off? On windows under power options - choose what my power button does - may have been set to either hibernation or sleep causing the issue, did you ensure it's set to shutdown?

Meanwhile, since you've mentioned that you've installed Linux Mint, I must let you know that HP doesn't support Linux, 

I would recommend you to reinstall the HP Supplied OS back into your computer as that should fix most of the compatibility issues such as the one you seem to have, which is why we don't recommend installing retail versions of windows either,

If you'd like to know how to install the HP Supplied OS or OEM back to you PC: Click here

And if you don't have a recovery media: Click here to obtain one for yourself.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

> it can be unplugged for days but as soon as i plug it in the cpu fan goes to like max speed. the fan will return to normal speeds with power on operation and now runs well.

Some computers, when powering-on, intentionally run the fan at full speed, i.e., maximum noise, for a few seconds, then measure the temperature of the motherboard & CPU, and tell the fan to "slow-down, and thus reduce the noise, when it is discovered that the computer is not "hot".

As the Other Person has noted, if you stop using your computer for a while, the screen will go into "power-saving" mode, and go "dark".   Touch the keyboard, or wiggle the mouse, and the computer will "wake" the screen, up to full power & full brightness. That "sleeping" state is quite-different from you intentionally telling the computer to "logoff-and-shut-down".

HP Recommended

thanks for the reply. yes the computer is definetly off. i really would be hard pressed to get recovery discs for this old computer. also, as MS does not support xp anymore i would rather not. i have a feeling this is in the bios or a hardware issue. since i have wiped the drive a few times, and since ive changed the operating system, shouldnt play a part with fan speeds right? not with the system off? so the thing i tried to do is find support for this machine on this website but it will not recognise my model  # so maybe its too old and im out of luck

HP Recommended

> i have a feeling this is in the BIOS or a hardware issue. since i have wiped the drive a few times, and since ive changed the operating system,  shouldnt play a part with fan speeds right? not with the system off?

If the computer really is "off", then the fan(s) should not be spinning at all.

If changing the O.S. has no effect, then, by a process of elimination, it's logical to point to BIOS or hardware.

Look in the BIOS.  Sometimes, there is an option to control the fan-speed, i.e., "always maximum", or "stay on when computer is sleeping".

>  I tried to do is find support for this machine on this website but it will not recognise my model  #

> so maybe its too old and im out of luck.

Indeed it is much too old. 

The "sunset" for Windows XP was almost 3 years ago:  April 2014.

It's time for you to upgrade.

Maybe, find a local computer store that leases computers, on a 3-year term, to businesses.

After 3 years, the computers are returned to the store, and the store will "refurbish" the computers,

reinstall Windows, and will sell them to you, at a large discount.  

Any 3-year-old computer will be running Windows 7 or 8 -- a great improvement on Windows XP.

HP Recommended

I do appreciate your reply. yes i agree this should be bios or hardware. there is something new i discovered, and that is that the PSU is actually on. the fan in the PSU is actually running. so something is keeping the board from shutting completely down. i will note, nothing is responsive though. no mouse keyboard or monitor action draws a response. and the optical drive is not operational in this state.

also i thank you for your recommendation for a new machine. i will point out thats not the big issue as i have three other  newer windows machines (one HP) that im very happy with. the thing is, this machine runs so well that i would like to really figure this out. i would hate to see it go to the parts bin. and to possibly have a forum that could help anybody els that has encountered a similar issue.

i will swap out the PSU to see if that could be it. i will post my findings. thanks!

HP Recommended

> the fan in the PSU is actually running. so something is keeping the board from shutting completely down. i will note, nothing is responsive though. no mouse keyboard or monitor action draws a response. and the optical drive is not operational in this state.

These symptoms match a computer that has "crashed" -- non-responsive, CPU-fan and/or case-fan running at full speed.

Remove the disk-drive, and connect it as a "slave" to one of your other computers, to recover all your personal files.

Also, take a close look at each of the capacitors on the motherboard.

They should have "flat" tops (not "domed").

There should not be any "brown-rust" on top of a capacitor.

If the capacitor is not doing its job, namely keeping some voltage at a constant level, your motherboard will "crash" erratically.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.