cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rajetch
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

following Microsoft Updates - PC will not start unless graphics card removed.

AMD Radeon HD7770 2GB Giraffe2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

PC - 

HP ENVY Phoenix h9-1335ea

PC ran standard updates requested by microsoft during shut down sequence

Returned to PC, reboot - no life

Power up - Fans start, nothing else.  keyboard and mouse not even recongnised.

Removed battery and graphics card - plug screen into onboard graphics card, PC boots up

Re-mount graphics card - PC does not boot.

Tried to re-install HP AMD Radeon HD 7770 2GB Giraffe2 - PC does not boot.

Any help please.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Retired
Retired
7,771 6,895 449 843
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @rajetch,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.  I understand that after some Windows updates your computer is not displaying properly with the graphics card installed, but will work with the integrated graphics adapter.  I am happy to help with this.

I would suggest that you use a System Restore to go back to the settings before those updates, as it sounds like one of them is not friendly to your graphics card, assuming you have a restore point from before then.  HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎  If your graphics card works then, I would suggest setting any of your network connections to metered, so that you can pick and choose which Windows updates install, and which do not. Please see this page for how to set a connection as metered: How, When, and Why to Set a Connection as Metered on Windows 10 - howtogeek.com

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
rajetch
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for response. Have removed graphics card and tried it in win8 and win10 pc's. It freezes all of them during boot up.. so I'm guessing the card has a fault. .
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
7,771 6,895 449 843
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the update, and with the new evidence I agree with you. Were you able to test your original system with a different graphics card?

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
rajetch
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have purchased a new card, awaiting delivery.  Happly using the onboard graphics card at the moment.

Although last night on start up the computer blue screened with driver_power_state_failure again and then recovered.

Is there a fix prcedure for this?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
7,771 6,895 449 843
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As you still had a BSOD using the integrated graphics, you should take a look through this document: HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Blue Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7).  It is quite comprehensive, and should be helpful with this.

Be sure to do the recommended hardware diagnostics to see if anything pops out at you as well.

Let me know the results or if there is anything else I can help with.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
rajetch
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Malygris1,

I've started the PC in safe mode and uninstalled all the video drivers.  RE-installed the basic onboard driver and the system seems to be working fine.

Will update after a few w days of use.

Thanks for you assistance

robert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rajetch
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi again,

PC now refuses to start.  All I get is the red leds on the fan light up and nothing else.

Have tried to boot off disk,usb etc but with no joy.

THe pc seems to get power but then nothing happens.

How can I boot this up or even know what is failing..  This all started with Windows 10 updates last night!!!!!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation