cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Solved!

fsb speed 07E8h

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have an old Evo D510 with a 07E8h motherboard. My processor is a 2,53 GHz Northwood core with a FSB speed of 533 MHz and 512 KB of L2 cache. I can't find any information wheter or not this motherboard supports a FSB speed of 800 MHz or only up to 533 MHz. I would like to upgrade with a 2,8 to 3 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1 MB L2 cache and possibly a hyper threading variant if possible.

I would be very pleased if someone could tell me what FSB speed my motherboard supports.

SteinarN

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
122,914 113,095 18,198 27,771
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

The maximum processor you can install is a pentium 4 (P4 3.06/512/533) with a 512 KB L2 cache and a max FSB speed of 533 MHz.  That is all the 845 chipset can handle.

Link to the quickspecs is below.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/productbulletin.html#spectype=worldwide&type=html&doci...

You may not be able to enable hyperthreading.

See the below threads from the business support forum.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Compaq-Elite-Pro/Enable-HyperThreading-in-Compaq-Evo-D510S...

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Compaq-Elite-Pro/EVO-D510-SFF-how-to-enable-hyperthreading...

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Workstations-z-series-xw-series/Evo-D510SFF-Howto-enable-Hyperthreading...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tanks for the quick and good answer :generic:

Seems like I can forget hypertreading, especially since my machine is a -02 model year. No upgrade in FSB speed either. I will consider a quicker processor, but I don't like the very high TDP of some or all of the 3GHz processors, so maybe I leave it where it is today. I replaced my HDD some time ago, and that made a HUGE difference in many tasks involving the HDD like start up, opening programs, files and such, and I have installed enough memory for it to not run out of available memory, that also made a huge difference. So I may have come to an end for this old machine, probably time for looking at a new one instead and keep this one as a backup and for old programs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I had a Dell GX260 and it had the same chipset with the 3.06 GHz processor.  Hyperthreading was enabled.

It definitely ran hot and Dell installed an upgraded heatsink for that processor because I had another GX260 with a 2.4 GHz/533 and it had a very plain heatsink. No copper tubes.

It is definitely time for you to upgrade your equipment.  :generic:

I keep my HP d530 around with XP for situations that I need it for.  That one can run processors with the 800 MHz FSB.  Still runs like a champ.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found one processor, 2.8GHz, 1MB, 533FSB, 84W TDP.

You said in a previous post that max L2 was 512. Is this correct? I thought there was no specific limit on L2 set by the main bord, but then again, I'm no expert.

Edit: I can add that my current CPU is a Northwood core while the CPU linked here is a Prescott core if that is of any significance.

P4, 2.8 GHz, 1MB, 533FSB, SL7D8

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is a limit in the L2 cache (set by the BIOS) and the processor "class."

Your model will run a Northwood 2.8 but not a Prescott 2.8.

The problem being that there is no microcode for the Prescott processor in the BIOS in your PC and maybe the processor will work, but you will most likely get a microcode error that you have to keep hitting the F1 key to skip.

That's if it works at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks a ton Paul, I'm steadfast learning something new. Then I can skip this option also. Back to the new pc option then.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anytime.

I like to buy off lease HP business PC's on eBay.

You may want to look into the HP 8000 Elite CMT.  You can probably get one for less than $300.00 with Windows 7.

You can install up to 16 GB of memory in this model.

I bought one about 6 months ago and like it a lot.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I got hold of an P4 3,06GHz cpu and installed it, but no HT as expected. Tried both bios 2.21 and 3,18 but no HT option in bios. So probably a to old main board version. Tried to investigate it but it is very difficult to find information on what actually to look at to deteremine the main board version or capability. Anyway, this is the very end for this old machine and I'm fine with it. Thanks for your help earlier on this topic.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation