cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

graphing calculator 49g

HP Recommended

I have a 49G graphing calculator, an HP desktop running windows 7 64-bit, and a serial connectivity kit. One end of the cable goes nicely into the 49G. Where does to other end of the cable go??

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 9
971 954 119 185
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Either:

1) You would need a computer with a serial port as discussed here:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/serial-port.htm

Or

2) You need a USB to Serial adaptor, I would suggest one that uses FTDI:

for example: http://commerce.hpcalc.org/usbserial.php

-Bart
Level 9
971 954 119 185
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Further to my previous post, to use the USB to serial converter you need to install a "virtual COM port".

FTDI has drivers for this for 64 bit Windows:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

-Bart
Level 1
6 3 1 1
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings.

Hope you are doing well.

I believe you said you had a serial kit for the connection that goes from your calculator to your computer. 

That means the end of the cable that is not connected to your calculator connects to the serial port of your computer, which is a 9-pin connector.  If your computer does not have a serial port you will have to purchase a special device that connects to your USB port and converts the signal to something that can be understood by a serial port. 

This is called a USB to Serial-port adapter/connector.  The one I advise you you to get is by the Sabrent company, and will cost you between ten-and-fifteen US-dollars.  This is not only the cheapest, but the most compatible one I have encountered.

I thought all of these things were the same, but no.  Had tried one from Staple's and it would only work with one serial system of my serial-port devices.  The Sabrent worked with the following devices:  1) HP 48 GX calculator  2)  Icom's R-10 receiver 3)  Parallax's BASIC Stamp homework(circuit board) board.

I think my device came from NewEgg, but not certain as a friend of mine ordered extra when making an online purchase and I then bought my adapter from him.

You may be tempted to get another maker of this device because you are in a hurry, but wait then seven-to-ten-days to order this, provided you can't find this in a local store. 

I can't promise you, of course, that it will work with your calculator and computer, but my positive experience with three completely different types of devices is a good indication you will also have good results.

That is all.

Have an enjoyable day!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation