cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JellieM
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

grey dots and out of control cursor

Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have one wild crazy cursor which ramdomly opens apps and pages or disappears from typing to do its own thing.

It has taken me over 2 minutes and multiple swear words to get this far.

I have tried researching this problem and cannot find a fix. Apparently it may be a hardware problem and I need to contact HP Support, something I cannot do away from my computer in work hours. The only afterhours support is on Twiter which I realy do not want to join.

Is there a phone number I can contact after 4pm weekdays or on weekends where I can get proper direction and suport to resolve my problem.

Sadly even though my computer was under warranty when issue first arose I did not realise it was possibly a hardware problem and could have it fixed. I have suffered this issue for months now and it is getting worse.

I am over screaming at my computer in frustration.

Thank goodness I have a phone and tablet as back up to do important tasks like payments and job aplications but doing these tasks on a desktop would be much more effiecient

$1500 on a desktop computer that fails this badly is does not instill faith in HP

HELP PLEEEEEASE!!!!!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 828 1,449
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@JellieM

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP desktop PC and the cursor on the screen does not work correctly. The cursor randomly opens apps and pages or disappears from typing.

I would like to know if any changes (hardware or software) took place on the PC after which this issue may have started. Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

NOTE: if you still would like to reach HP phone support then please let me know your country of residence and I will locate the contact information for you. 

• Have you tried using a different mouse (if available) and checked if it works fine?
  • If the issue persists, then please perform the steps as described in detail from this link: http://hp.care/2fRV3aB.
  • Also, please try running a hardware test on the mouse by following the below steps:
  • Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Mouse/Touchpad - There are 2 mouse tests to determine if the mouse is functioning correctly - the Pointer Test and the Drag and Drop Test. Click Mouse/Touchpad, then select the test you want to run and follow the instructions.
  • NOTE: Bluetooth devices are not currently supported.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted All the best! 🙂

0 Kudos
JellieM
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried every test several times and nothing has worked.  

It took too long just trying to login to my computer tonight. i have given up.  

The computer can go to a repairer before i throw it out the window in sheer frustration.

$1500 for a piece of sh!t.

The touchscreen won't even calibrate properly, less than half of it works.

I switched the mouse off and the screen was still out of control, opening apps and grey dots flashing around the outer screen. 

Strange how there doesnt seem to be a solution to what appears to be a problem a lot of people are having.

Can you please advise where my local HP technician is located, i am in Perth, Western Australia postcode 6107.

Thanks

J

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,360 12,338 1,164 2,396
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @JellieM,

I reviewed the post. Great troubleshooting and remarkable effort before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 I understand the situation and can relate to it. I am here to assist you.

TO get the unit serviced please follow these steps:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer's warranty should take care of it for you.

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved and the computer works great and stays healthy for a long time.  Please keep me posted about it.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Robvia
3 3 0 1
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is a hardware issue.    View my video on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BImsVULTrk8

Hold your palm against the screen so you can open control panel.

Go to Device Manager, Human Interface Devices, HID-Compliant Touch Screen, Right Click, Disable.

Yes, your touch screen will be off, but at least your mouse will work.  

Does your HP Envy Recline 23 or 27 have dots or circles appearing at the top of the screen. Is it impossible to use the mouse because it won't go to the bottom of the screen? Hold your palm against the screen where you see the dots. You will then be able to control your computer using the mouse ...
JellieM
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you. At least I now have control again.
Tears of joy rather than frustration for a change.
Now I can complete my interview responses
0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,360 12,338 1,164 2,396
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @JellieM,

I am glad that you've been able to have the computer up and running. As this is a hardware issue, please contact HP phone support to get the issue resolved.

Take care and have a blessed weekend. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation