Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Galilee Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hard drive crash... install windows on new hard drive without cd

pavillion p6 2026
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my hard drive crash and i just bought a new hard drive. but i dont have a windows cd only product key on my desktop case.

how can I install windows on my new hard drive?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
14010 1324 3140
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Galilee

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about wanting to restore your PC and wanted to help -- but need more information.

Your PC did not come with Win10 preinstalled, so if you were to order HP Recovery Media and use that, it would restore the original operating system, drivers, and HP utilities. 

I presume this is NOT what you want, right?

So, while you can make Win10 media to recover your PC, it would be a clean-install and nothing would be preserved.

You can make such media using this tool: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

Note that when you go do download and build install media, the tool defaults to matching what is already installed on your PC (as in, Home for Home, 64-bit for 64-bit).  While you CAN change these settings, do NOT. If you do, the resulting media will be different and will force you to enter a NEW product code!

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Galilee Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the information.

My computer came with windows 7 but last month before it crash it was upgarde to windows 10.

So if i want to replace with new hard drive, should i install windows 10 or windows 7.

could you please tell me step by step how to get windows and how to install on new hard drive.

Thanks

Gum

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation