cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
einemal Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hard drive crashed. need recovery disk with windows 10

G72-250US
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My hard drive just crashed, diagnostics and laptop tools couldnt recover. I plan to replace it, but dont have recovery Windows 10 disks, as it was downloaded during Windows upgrade last year. I can buy a new hard drive, but not sure what to do afterwords

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Provost
Provost
49520 49492 9892 16561
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hard drive crashed. need recovery disk with windows 10

Hi,

You won't need to purchase Recovery Media and then go through the process of upgrading to Windows 10 again.

As long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade, you can just create Windows 10 installation media on another PC and then perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed as a hardware profile of your notebook will have been recorded by the activation servers from your previous upgrade to 10.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation