cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

help with hp a1630n

HP Recommended

I have a pavilion a 1630n.  Last summer the hard drive died and had to replace it.  I purchased some restore disks from hp and they worked fine.  In December, I got a bad virus and decided to wipe out hard drive and use restore disks.  Now all i get is they say the pc recovery disks do not support this model.  But I used them last summer.  I have removed a dvd drive i added.  No other changes were made other than the power supply which I did before the first restore.   I have pulled the memory and cmos battery.  the hard drive was new in the box but a 320 gb rather than a 250 which it came with.  need advice as to how I can restore this computer.  I am a tech and can do it myself. 

carol

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
10,224 10,220 961 2,812
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Depending on the way "decided to wipe out hard drive" was done, the Recovery partition may still be there.  Try the F10 at the BIOS splash screen to see if it is.  If that was removed along with the OS, then perhaps a regular WinXP install disk is another choice.  All the HP extra items will be gone along with the drivers.

Another choice is this: http://www.computersurgeons.com/SearchProducts.aspx?sbt=Media+Center+a1630n&bkm=Results#Results

Those recovery disks may not be as picky as the HP made ones.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I know the recovery partition is gone.  What I don;t get is when I bought the new hard drive, it worked fine.  Now I can't do anything.  I have tried, removing the cmos, taking out memory and replacing them. Could it be the power supply as I believe I may have had to replace that too.  But it was the exact same kind.  This just does not make any sense.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
10,224 10,220 961 2,812
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Actually came across this today: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-80183-1&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That article seems to be for windows 7.  I am trying to reinstall the original os which is xp media center.  The disks do not respond when i reboot the computer only saying that the disks do not support that computer which is no correct. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
10,224 10,220 961 2,812
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well the next choice is the link to Computer Surgeons or get a WinXP install disk and skip the HP Recovery set.

I'm not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation