Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Does anybody know how to dim or adjust screen brightness for the HP Envy 23se-d494 all-in-one pc?  It is sometimes to bright for me especially in low light conditions.  Please help, thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

In Windows 8 and 8.1

Invoke the search charm and type in brightness or click on the PC settings icon

win8scrnbrt.PNG

If the control by the operating system is available, it will be seen as in the following image

win8scrnbrt4.PNG

If available, the ability to control screen brightness will be via the slider as seen in the folllowing image. The image is from a touchscreen enabled HP product loan Spectre 13 ultrabook with Windows 8.1. Yours should be the same.

win8scrnbrt3.PNG

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you for your insight but mine says brightness setting is UNAVAILABLE.  Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

Are the touchscreen features available or are you using  only the keyboard and mouse?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

yes touchscreen is available and I'm using it.  

HP Recommended

Go to the Intel download web page and update the graphics driver.

HP Recommended

Hi again, I tried to download intel drivers but it woudn't let me.  It says it has to come from HP so that's what I did, I updated my graphics driver using the ones in the HP website but nothing happened, I still could not adjust the brightness. It still says "windows cannot adjust the brigtness of this display".

HP Recommended

Got the same problem on my Envy 23. downloaded drivers. still no help. cannot adjust brightness

HP Recommended

Hello Rockyj,

I understand that you are having issues adjusting the screen brightness on your computer. If you are running Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 you can also ajust the screen brightness by following the steps set out below:

Step 1. At the Tiles Menu type "control panel"

Step 2. Click on Control Panel

Step 3. Click on System and Security

Step 4. Click on Power Potions

Step 5. Click on Change plan settings (which ever is associated with the plan you have selected)

Step 6. Move the horizontal sliders from left to right to either increase the brighness or decrease the brightness.

I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

There are no sliders to adjust brightness!!! there are sliders like you told me about on my acer laptop but nothing on my HP!!! Never seen something so retarded! I might just return it. Please help if you can thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.