Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z27Q
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Would like to connect my HP27Q (5K, dual display port) monitor to the new Apple products using Thunderbolt 3. There are several Thunderbolt 3 hubs that provide dual display ports but they only work with Windows.

I do know that I can go with an Apple machine that provides dual Thunderbolt 2 ports such as recent iMacs and Mac Pros but that isn't a desirable solution.

Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@TwoMetreBill

Sorry, but I don't have very good news for you ...

Here is the User Guide for that monitor and you appear to have to connect TWO Display Port cables to it to get it to work:  http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=7239578&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04...

Also, here is a Mac forum post claiming that the Thunderbolt ports don't have enough bandwidth to drive that monitor:  https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/hp-z27q-5k-monitor-experiences.1879714/

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Those links are obsolete. My late 2009 (7+ years old) iMac supports the HP27Q just fine.

Thunderbolt2 and DisplayPort 2 use the same connector. Just like on my HP Z420 with a Quardo card, the monitor is connected to two either Thunderbolt2 or DisplayPort2 connectors and works just fine. My HP/Quadro can actually drive two HP27Q displays and with the recent price drop, I've been considering a 2nd one for my HP. 

Back to the topic, the issue is software drivers. 

Thunderbolt3 has the power to drive four 4K monitors off one port or at least two 5K monitors and a couple hard drives; all off one port. There are adapters available that will split Thunderbolt 3 two two DisplayPort 2 ports. These adapters can be connected to any Windows machine that has a Thunderbolt 3 port, connect the HP27Q and it all works.

These same adapters can be connected to the Thunderbolt3 ports on a Mac (currently only a couple laptops) but MacOS lacks the support for those ports so the manufacturer of the splitter has to supply the driver. As far as I can tell, none do.

Hence the reason for this Post, has anyone found a solution for this problem? 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.