cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

how to get windows product key when motherboard/bios not working

HP Recommended
Envy 23 Touchsmart
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My motherboard died so I replaced it with one from another system I have. But I now have to re-activate Windows 10 (I upgraded from 8.1 a few days before the MB died). It won't let me without a Windows product key - which is stuck in the BIOS of the OLD (dead) motherboard?

How can I get access to it? 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,312 22,977 2,662 9,220
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Martin, welcome to the forum.

I suggest that you contact Microsoft Customer Support for help.  They will be able to help you solve your problem.  I don't believe there is any way to access the BIOS in a failed motherboard.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

Signature:
HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG Z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory ( 32 GB ); MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; MSI GH70 Immerse LED Headset; 3- Corsair QL140 RGB Fans w/Commander Pro and Lighting Node Core; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7855 AIO

**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

I am not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Provost,

Many thanks for your assistance. 

Ive been in the vicious MS back to HP back to MS loop all day. MS say they cannot help and that HP will be able to access my product code and serial number. MS cannot access it apparently and suggested i go out and buy another copy of Windows??

HP insisy they cannot access it and to go to MS as they will have it. Grrrrrrrr

I must admit, I think I agree with MS - HP should have given me access to it when I purchased the machine instead of stuffing it in a BIOS that nobody now has access to now.

It was made expotentially worse when HP said they could access it through thier Premium Support section???

After spending $10,000s on HP products I'm extremely dissapointed with how this has turned out. I paid for Windows through the HP product, they hid it in the machine and now want to charge for me to access it!!??

So does anybody know how to resolve this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
750 736 67 131
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Microsoft directed OEM's to place the product key and encrypt the product key in the BIOS.

This was done to enhance security.

You cannot use the OEM product key embedded in the defunct HP motherboard to activate the copy of Windows that is tethered to that HP system on a different motherboard.

You can transfer retail copies of Windows to different PC's but this cannot be done with OEM versions of Windows.

You could probably use an OEM product key associated with the replacement motherboard in this PC if the replacement motherboard had an OEM copy of Windows tethered to it. A system builder motherboard would require a new copy of Windows.

Either way, you will have to purchase a new copy Win 10, or Win 8.1, or Win 7 if you did'nt purchase one for the replacement motherboard or an existing product key is not tethered to the replacement motherboard.

Jay

Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your comment Jay.

If this is the case - why did the HP 'Premium Support' say that they could get the Key for me but it will be at a cost - that I have to pay beforehand??

Was the 'ever so pushy sales guy' at Premium Support going to charge me and then say the same thing?

Maybe now you can see my frustration and dissapointment with HP......

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
750 736 67 131
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome.

I can't answer that. I have never used HP Premium Support.

HP, Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba, Acer all do whatever Microsoft tells them to do.

Microsoft creates the licensing terms and the OEM's must comply.

I don't like the OEM Window's licensing terms anymore than you do.

Jay

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation