Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Have had the monitor for over a year, and it worked great.  Got a new laptop.  Set resolution to the full 1920x1080, and the display overscans significantly on HDMI.  (lose the entire top bar on full screen apps, on the bottom, the start button is gone, on the left, all but a few pixels of the first column of desktop icons, etc...

If I want to see the whole desktop, I have to scale back to 1600x900 and have the usual black bars surrounding it.  At 1600x1050 (yes, its an option) I can see the top half of the start button, the right half of that first column of icons, etc.

The machine doesn't have an obvious place to tweak over/underscan.  (it does have a catalyst control center, but it in no way resembles the one shown in the FAQ page on adjusting underscan)

I can hook it up via the VGA connector, and get a correctly sized image, but the quality of their VGA port is crap.  (all sorts of artifacts that vary with the fan speed)....

Machine is a Sony Vaio S series 13.3.  (vpcsa4f6x to quote the system info)  It has a "hybrid" video system, a Radeon when you have a lot of battery, and the intel embedded graphics for "stamina" mode (yup, thats what the switch says speed/stamina).

Anyone know where they might hide the overscan control?

-dp-

http://the-nerds.org

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Ok it took a lot of poking around, but I finally found the stuff to adjust.  (look in a file cabinet in a disused basment....")

Control panel: Display resolution.

Set resolution to desired 1920x1080 and apply.  Then on that same window, hit the link: " Advanced Settings."

It will put up a hardware info window, with 6 sub tabs.

Click on "Intel(r) Graphics and Media Panel" tab.

Click on "Graphics properties" button at the bottom.

Will pop up another window.  Select "Advanced Mode"

Much more complex window will appear.  pulldown bar for "Scaling", chose "Customize Aspect Ratio"

Two sliders appear (one H one V)

55% worked for me.  (steps are 5%, and actually make a fairly small difference)

When you first open the "Intel(R)...." tab, the "scaling" will only offer the choices centered (was the default) and full screen (makes it worse).  If you then go thru their "advanced mode" app, the tab on the device window will change.  The pulldown will now just offer "customize" and there will be sliders there.  No, I don't know why.

enjoy, discovering this only cost me 4 hours of sleep.

-dp-

http://the-nerds.org

HP Recommended

Thanks, this worked for me. I had previously tried this setting, but even at 80% it didn't seem like much of a difference. So I tried 50% and like you said, even a large number difference is a small change on screen. This worked.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the detailed procedure.  Some of the steps changed in Win10, but 55% and 55% fixed my Sony Bravia 32L4000.

1) Right click on desktop, select Intel Graphics Settings (Not display settings)

2) On the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, select Display

3) Set Resoultion to 1920 x 1080

4) Set Refresh Rate to 60p (or 60i) Hz

5) Notice the picture under Preview (to the right)

6) Set Scaling to Customize Aspect Ration (slider bars appear next to picture)

7) Slide both bars to 55%.  Notice the black frame around the picture.

😎 Select Apply and see if it works.  It will revert in 10 seconds, or you select "yes".

9) Select Save Profile, and give it a name like "1080p underscan 55x55"

In the future, you can Select Profile, to the left.

Note:  Intel warns against setting Custom Resolutions.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.